NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
phpEd and VSS

Hello,

I am searching after a php IDE and I am currently testing NuSphere phpEd. We are using (intensively) Visual Source Safe.
I saw following posts on this forum but I am not convinced:

writing-plugins-for-phped-t2515.html
tip-phped-and-sourcesafe-t2370.html?highlight=vss

My question is, do you have a plugin for this feature? I need to install it on several computers and to have this as easy as possible.

Kind regards,
Adrien
Veteran

Adrien, I feel there is a reluctance from NuSphere's side to provide direct integration for anything other than CVS. But that does not mean other version control systems cannot be used. The second Forum link you provided gives a procedure similar to what I use for SVN integration. My guess therefore is that the information contained in that post will work -- you will have your VSS commands on the menu under Tools / Scripts / VSS / Checkin etc.

Why not install the demo version of PhpEd and try it with VSS yourself? Idea

Regards, Stephen

Hi anno,

I will test it but I was thinking that a plugin was available for this. In addition I am working on several projects (so different VSS external databases). I am not sure this will be managed by phpEd.

I'm using VSS with PHPEd, only one database though.

I'm using the menu integration method as described in one of the threads. It's easy & works well.

I'm sure if you ran a batch file that you could probably get it to change the source database based on custom variables (see Project properties). Would make it more flexible probably.

Code:
ss Checkout "$/@RelFName@" -GL@Path@ -C-
ss Checkin "$/@RelFName@" -GL@Path@
ss Undocheckout "$/@RelFName@" -GL@Path@
ss Checkin "$/@RelFName@" -GL@Path@ -K -C- (checkin with checkout)

Cameron.

Hi Cjunge,

Thx for you help. In fact I can do a "checkout" on my file but the "checkin" button is not visible ... In addition I'm not able to see the status of the file (currently in checkout or not).
I need to use several VSS databases for several different project and I was thinking that such a module was existing but apparently it is not the case.

Cameron,

I am now able to chekout and checkin my files. Nevertheless I cannot see the status of this file (checked out or checked in). Do you have some advice for this?

In addition, when you say:

Quote:
I'm sure if you ran a batch file that you could probably get it to change the source database based on custom variables (see Project properties). Would make it more flexible probably.

What do you mean exactly? Could you please give me some details on how to proceed?

Thank you,
Adrien

adrienf wrote:
I am now able to chekout and checkin my files. Nevertheless I cannot see the status of this file (checked out or checked in). Do you have some advice for this?

No I don't unfortunately, as the icons are based on what the OS reports. The way I check is that a checked-in file is locked, so you are unable to edit it until you check it out. As I'm the only one working on my project, I don't have to worry about another developer having checked out the file I want to work on.
adrienf wrote:

Quote:

What do you mean exactly? Could you please give me some details on how to proceed?

I haven't needed to do it myself, but I would assume it would be possible to run a batch file based on some custom variables in the Project properties. The batch file could connect & use the appropriate database on a per-project basis. Ie. call a batch file with a parameter that is a custom variable, the batch file used the parameter to know what database to use. So rather than directly using SS, the batch file does some preparation first. I'm just theorising as I've never needed to do it myself.

Cameron

Oh, the VS8 commands are here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/003ssz4z(VS.80).aspx

Well I am not able to do it by myself. Would be nice to have a complete description as it is the case for the "first" solution. Rolling Eyes
phpEd and VSS