NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
What's my computer IP?

Sorry, I realise this is probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to follow the instructions in 'Troubleshooting' for what to do if the debugger won't start. The instruction
Quote:

Open console on the server and run

telnet computerIP 7869

where computerIP is an IP address of your client computer.

has stumped me because I have no idea what my computer IP is or how to find it out. I've got Windows XP (home edition), and I'm running Apache/1.3.33 (Win32) with PHP version :5.0.3. I think I've correctly followed all the configuration instructions in 'Help' thus far .

How do I find out what my IP is?
Site Admin

You need to check connection from the server to your client IP because this way is used. When debugger module starts its work it connects to the dbglistener running on your client machine.

WinXP dumps out your network configuration with the command below:

ipconfig /all

you'll find the IP too. Then you can run phpinfo() on your site to make sure it sees your IP (see REMOTE_ADDR). It's necessary to make sure that you have a _real_ IP, not a private one. If what you find in ipconfig output is the same as found in phpinfo, you can proceed with debugging strightforward. If they are different you have to use ssh tunelling or maybe establish NAT port forwarding in your IP router. (Personally, I'd prefer the first way as it's more secure)
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Thanks. I've run ipconfig /all and, unfortunately, it doesn't give me the same IP Address as phpinfo() gives me for my REMOTE_ADDR. The REMOTE_ADDR is, as I expected, Apache's default one of 127.0.0.1. I don't know where the one telnet has found comes from.

Anyway, the two aren't the same and telnet won't connect to either. Using the computerIP given by the telnet command I get 'client connected...wrong client, disconnecting' in the listener log. Using 127.0.0.1 gives me an error of
'Failed to create client thread, disconnecting'. Neither of these mean very much to me, I'm afraid, and I don't know what significance, if any, there is in the difference.

From what you say, though, I'll need to ' to use ssh tunelling or maybe establish NAT port forwarding in your IP router.'. Where do I look for instructions on how to do this?
Site Admin

Quote:
The REMOTE_ADDR is, as I expected, Apache's default one of 127.0.0.1. I don't know where the one telnet has found comes from.

Actually, if you checked with local Apache, it makes no sense.
You have to check with the one you're going to debug with.

Quote:
Anyway, the two aren't the same and telnet won't connect to either. Using the computerIP given by the telnet command I get 'client connected...wrong client, disconnecting' in the listener log. Using 127.0.0.1 gives me an error of
'Failed to create client thread, disconnecting'. Neither of these mean very much to me, I'm afraid, and I don't know what significance, if any, there is in the difference.

Let's start from the beginning. Do you have a remote server or a local one? In first case, you may want to check connection by runnign telnet on the server. In latter case, it's not needed and everything will work anyway.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

No, I don't have a remote server. I'm trying to debug on my pc (Windows XP), on which I've got Apache, which I use for development work before putting things on a remote server.
Site Admin

in this case you don't need to check if connection is possible...
Just install debugger module:
http://forum.nusphere.com/howto-install-debugger-module-t576.html
Create a project in the IDE:
http://forum.nusphere.com/howto-setup-project-properties-in-phped-t645.html
and debug your scripts Smile

Thanks. It seems to have been a problem with the installation. I was having these problems after I'd installed DBG for the first time. After reading your reply I tried to reopen it to check my settings -- I thought I'd set everything correctly -- and got an error message telling me there was something wrong with the installation (sorry, I didn't make a note of the exact error message) and that I should reinstall the programme.

This I did. DBG remebered all my settings and is now working fine.

Thanks for your help.

I've got plenty more questions but I'll put those in new topics.
What's my computer IP?