NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Temp. freezing at startup (Webroot Spysweeper)

I installed the full version yesterday and noticed a long program freeze at start-up (which wasn't there in the evaluation version). At first I thought it was related to the Code Explorer because the status bar said 'Updating code explorer tree'

but when I disabled it and restarted PhpED it still froze but this time the status bar said 'updating desktop'.. so the lock-up must come from something else. I've been going through the settings but haven't been able to find anything that might cause it.

Any ideas?

as I said, I didn't have that problem in the evaluation version

Last edited by Spaceman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Site Admin

try to close workspace and re-start phped to see if there anything causes the problem.

it does it even without any workspace open

it does the same on my colleagues machine

and as I said, it didn't do it in the eval version
Site Admin

a screenshot would be helpful

hmm.. not much to see really

PhpED opens but you can't click on anything (clicking a few time inside the interface shows the 'not responding' text to the title bar)
after about 20 seconds the GUI is 'free' again and you can work

during the freeze it either says 'updating code explorer tree' or 'loading desktop' in the status bar, depending on whether I've checked code xplorer or not

I uninstalled PhpED yesterday, made sure the registry was cleaned up, restarted etc..
then reinstalled PhpED

but it still has a freeze after startup of about 15 to 20 seconds

is there any way I can find out what it is doing at that moment?

a screengrab is not going to be much help I'm afraid (taking that a screengrab is a moment frozen in time and the freezing of the app is all there is wrong). It starts up, opens de GUI, all loaded, it just freezes then for 20 seconds while nothing else in the GUI changes. It just unlocks after those 20 seconds and I can start working.

ACTUALLY! .. there's is one difference

the editor toolbar only shows up after the GUI is unlocked again

I just downloaded trial version, installed it and now it's freezing up when Loading DBG Listener. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bill

I got it up and running. It was a firewall issue. After restart it loaded once prompted for permission.

Me and my colleague have been uninstalling/installing a few times now but it doesn't help.

Could this have anything to do with network drives? I checked them all and I can connect to them all but one of them needs a password. Could that make a difference?

I had that drive connected when using the trial version though and then it didn't freeze at startup.

[UPDATE]

disconnected all my network drives but no joy

[UPDATE 2]

in Regmon it stops after PhpEd does a CloseKey request at 'HKCU\Software\NuSphere\PHPEd4.6\Preferences' and continues 22 seconds later with a CreateKey request on the same path.

At that time DBGLitener stops at a CloseKey request on 'HKCR\MIME\Database\Charset\WINDOWS-1252' and starts again after 22 seconds with an OpenKey on 'HKCR\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa'

at the time of the freeze PhpED has opened 'c:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll' and after the freeze the first thing it opens is 'c:\WINDOWS\system32\drprov.dll'

I also see KAVICHS all over the place (from Kasperski) I don't know if that could be a problem (it obviously wasn't for the trial verion of PhpED)
Site Admin

I'd recommend you to stop all software like Kaspersky, make sure it's not listed in the "process list" and check PhpED startup again.

You may also want to check if a) your user account your logged in to windows is included to Power Users or Administrators groupt b) check is COM+ and DCOM (if available) services are running.

I'm an administrator on my machine but I can't remove Kasperski from the process list (this is controlled by our network administrators and they don't want to stop it for security reasons).. all the other things are checked (COM+ is running...)

Why would the full version complain about kasperski where the trial version doesn't?
Temp. freezing at startup (Webroot Spysweeper)