NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
I whine, therefore I am...

So. I'm pretty close to taking a dip in the shark tank that is PHP Editor shopping. I've been using the trial, figured I'd jump into the forum and ask a few questions.

Are there any plans for implementing a default project setup - or plans to add "packages" to the entire workspace?
Like for instance I have n projects in my work space, they all use PEAR and an outlandish set of classes that I made in my "oh this is a really good idea!" days and now never use. It seems to me that reparsing the references per project is a waste of time. I guess what I'm looking for is something like MS Visual Studio. (That's right, I said it...) You wouldn't even have to do it properly, just enough so that it gives the classes referenced in the tips.

Which leads me to point 2. Which I just double checked and much to my glee it is fixed. So, 2 will now be dynamic includes/requires. EG:
Code:
require_once(CLASSPATH . "payment/" . $this->classname . ".cfg.php");

Would it be too processor intense to parse the includes and so on, ultimately I'd like to be able to have 2 tip windows, one for references that have been included which would take preference over the references that no one likes.

Which leads me to my last gripe (for now) the code explorer. It is perfect looking. However, if you have PEAR and a few other references in there it quickly becomes too much to look at. Thus in turn forcing you to use single file mode which defeats the purpose of an explorer.

Oh, last thing, promise. Gets picket sign and starts chanting *I want syntax highlighting for my function names and class names, when do I want it? NOW!*

That said, keep up the good work. I'm moving from Zend after much umming and arring. The thing that hooked me on phpED was overall functionality (even if I did have yet another hissy fit about syntax highlighting) and the speed of the program. If I had to put up with another random Zend "mess with my life freezes" I possibly would have done absolutely nothing about it.

Site Admin

Quote:
Are there any plans for implementing a default project setup - or plans to add "packages" to the entire workspace?
Like for instance I have n projects in my work space, they all use PEAR

Good. Perhaps you already know it, but still I want to tell it just in case. You may want to include PEAR's directory into the list for Code Insight. See Code Insight Includes project property.
Certainly it's done per projects, not on the workspace. Latter one is just a collection of projects and nothing more, like in many other IDEs not related to PHP at all.

Quote:
It seems to me that reparsing the references per project is a waste of time

I can't get your point there. Could you please explain in details?

Quote:
Would it be too processor intense to parse the includes and so on

Code Insight parses all in background thread and we did our best to minimize its impact on the overall IDE performance.
Currently it parses roughly 10-40 files in a second. Certainly it depends... but in general the performace is like specified.
At least under P-IV 1GHz, 0.5G RAM (not a superior, you see).

Quote:
, if you have PEAR and a few other references in there it quickly becomes too much to look at. Thus in turn forcing you to use single file mode which defeats the purpose of an explorer

Soon it will be possible to clone Code Explorer and each clone will be showing content in its own mode. Would it solve this problem?

Quote:
I want syntax highlighting for my function names and class names

Good idea, no doubts. Thanks.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Quote:
It seems to me that reparsing the references per project is a waste of time

Assuming for this example that there are no default libraries/references, one with:

Pear
    nusoap
    my own reusable libraries I include with almost everything

Another with:

Pear
    nusoap

Then finally:

Pear
    My now famous useless libraries

From a developers POV if you have n projects, all requiring different libraries that are usually used by default the IDE should only parse them once then forget about them. With periodical updates and so on I guess. I just mean that it's pointless scanning my Pear dir for changes everytime I change projects or save a file. That, and at the very least the option to set a default project file that will allow me to setup includes and so on then just duplicate it I guess.

Quote:
Soon it will be possible to clone Code Explorer and each clone will be showing content in its own mode. Would it solve this problem?

It would. I love how it all looks now - it's perfect graphically, not distracting but not dull. I'd like to be able to set some things though. Like for instance array elements like $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] as an auto complete, and maybe a separate code explorer for these things and then for what's included with the current page. I think this is what your getting at?

Does the default page option in the project allow me to auto complete in projects like Joomla and so on or does that just cover previews?

I whine, therefore I am...