NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
sudo-rights for saving files

Hi,

I want to save files which can only be written with root-rights. In a terminal over SSH I change my effective rights with the sudo command on the server. Then I have the rights to edit and save the file. But when opening the file over the SFTP-connection in phpED I do NOT have these rights to save the file again. Is it possible to get root rights by typing in the appropriate password?

Thanks in advance,
Sifl
Site Admin

do you mean files in htdocs directory or some system-critical config files?
In first case, I'd recomend not to use root account at all. Create a user account designated for working with files in htdocs and use it in the sftp account.
In case of critical files, I'd recommend you to work with them through terminal.

I want to edit template-files (HTML, JavaScript and so on) somewhere in the filesystem of the server. These files need root-rights to be written. Is there any possibility to get these rights if the user with which I connect over SFTP is in the sudoers-file? So this would be something like the sudo-comand...

Thanks
Site Admin

no, SFTP does not support sudoing as far as I know
but you can connect using root.