NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] Search is slow (phped 4.6)

Hi,

I am running PHP ED on Windows.

It's been working great, except that the last few weeks when I search in Files it crawls! the phped.exe process is often using over 70% of the cpu time.

Any idea of what could be the problem?

Thanks!
Barry
View user's profileFind all posts by bchertovSend private messageVisit poster's website

P.S. I am using 4.6
View user's profileFind all posts by bchertovSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

Have you tried running any sort of checks on the file system? Perhaps there are some minor issues there that are causing problems.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

bobwilliams wrote:
Have you tried running any sort of checks on the file system? Perhaps there are some minor issues there that are causing problems.
I did a chkdsk, defragment, windows update, virus scan, PHP ED re-install to no avail. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Site Admin

Check the directory where you run your search, make sure you have good list of file extensions specified in File Masks input and finally make sure that you correctly set regexp checkbox. Latter one may affect performance.
Anyway, I'd not care of 4.6 as it's a bit outdated Smile. Isn't it a time to upgrade to 5.0.1?

dmitri wrote:
Check the directory where you run your search, make sure you have good list of file extensions specified in File Masks input and finally make sure that you correctly set regexp checkbox. Latter one may affect performance.
Anyway, I'd not care of 4.6 as it's a bit outdated Smile. Isn't it a time to upgrade to 5.0.1?
Thanks Dmitri. I'm just searching *.php with regexp unchecked. When the system displays each file it is searching, they often take a full second for a file and some of the larger ones (3,000 lines) take 4 or 5 seconds!

I haven't updated to 5.0.1 because 4.6 was working fine for me (thanks!) and bucks are tight. Can I install a trail version of 5.0.1 without disturbing my 4.6 installation?
Site Admin

Some time ago I got similar report for the system that ran Kaspersky antivirus with active monitor turned on. Switching it off solved the problem completely. You may want to check your system and try to shutdown all 3rd party (non-microsoft) services and applications to see which one causes the problems.

Quote:
Can I install a trail version of 5.0.1 without disturbing my 4.6 installation?

You can install 5.0.1 trial into a new directory and work with it, but 4.6 won't work until you uninstall 5.0.1 and run register.bat in phped\debugger subdirectory.

dmitri wrote:
Some time ago I got similar report for the system that ran Kaspersky antivirus with active monitor turned on. Switching it off solved the problem completely. You may want to check your system and try to shutdown all 3rd party (non-microsoft) services and applications to see which one causes the problems.

That did it! Bless you!
It was the AVG Anti-Virus Resident Shield that was the problem. Yeah! Thanks!
[resolved] Search is slow (phped 4.6)