NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Running debugger remote; where do I put my source ?

Hi there,

I am testing nusphere and I am quit happy about it sofar. We are for sure gonna buy the product for our php development.
Right now I am testing the debugger possiblities.

What we have:
- Windows client with nusphere
- no php code local available
- remote linux test-server with the php sources and debugging installed

When I run the debugger I get the error:
- Failed to map 'filename' remote file to local filesystem. Check mapping settings.

When I put that file in the root directory of project the error is gone. But I don't want the source to be locally available. So I guess I have to fill-in the remote path where the source is ? But we use sftp.

The answer must be simple I guess but I don't see the light right now Wink

best regards,
Michel.
Site Admin

Some people prefer to work with local copies and publish modificatoins using file upload (Ctrl-Shift-S shortcut)
Some other people prefer to work with remote files directly and map them using Samba or Windows Share, and when appropriate they are using ssh tunneling to make this "share" safe across open networks.
Quote:
But I don't want the source to be locally available

Without any files what are you going to develop? Smile
Please clarify.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

- I have a windows computer
- I run nusphere on it
- all the php files are on a remote linux server
- We edit them through sftp
- while debugging we get the mapping error because the source is not local available ?

How can I bypass the mapping error without copying the php source local ?
Veteran

This mapping error shouldn't prevent you from debuggng though - t just tells you that there is nothing to map this file to but then displays the source of remote file. I assume that you are debugging w/o active projecty, right?

Yes debugging does work, but I want to be able to make changes during debugsessions.

I did make a project.

As far as I know now the root directory of the project can only be a local map. Why can't I use a file transfer account there. That would solve my problem, as far as my thoughts are correct.
Site Admin

Quote:
How can I bypass the mapping error without copying the php source local ?

Probably, I didn't make it clear...
IDE needs file sources. There are many things that won't properly work without them, for example Code Explorer won't show you all the project structure, only opened files, Workspace won't show project files too.
I'd highly recommend you to have Samba-shared folder with all file sources and work with them through it. Let know if you have and problems and/or concerns doing it.

BUT, you can use 4.6 without local copies or Samba share. Below is short description on how to do it:
Probably you have already created SFTP account, if not, do it (Tools->Accounts).
Suppose, you have /var/www/html as Apache' Document root, then I'd recommend to set /var/www/ as root directory for SFTP account, so you'll see all files in html subdirectory as well as another directories mapped or not mapped to the WEB directory tree.
Create a project, select any empty directory for as its root directory. Select publishing account and set /html as top publishing directory (it's relative to the account root), select /var/www/html as remote root directory, and finally set http://mywebhost/ as root URL. That's all tricks. Now, if you open a file from that account you'll be able to run it and debug it directly on the remote host.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

thx! I am gonna try both options.

I already installed samba on our test server. Don't now samba very well. The only concern I have is perhaps the use of capitals in the filenames.

I will post my results here!
Site Admin

Captials should work okay in filenames unless you make clashes like SomeFile.txt and somefile.txt in the same directory. Linux runs ext2/ext3 filesystem which is casesensitive.

there should be no problems with the capitols... you are right. I was thinking about a project written in progess 4GL under dos/windows that was ported to AIX(ibm unix) and that was a problem with the capitols of alle procedures.

I have never liked the possibility to use Readme.txt and readme.txt as two seperate files.
Running debugger remote; where do I put my source ?