NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Cjunge: I don't see what you're talking about-- "proggy tiny", profont, and dina all preserve their bolding and italicising when highlighted in PhpED on my machine. I have v5.0, on Win2k-- not sure why you can't see these working correctly.

Dan

dan3h wrote:
Cjunge: I don't see what you're talking about-- "proggy tiny", profont, and dina all preserve their bolding and italicising when highlighted in PhpED on my machine. I have v5.0, on Win2k-- not sure why you can't see these working correctly.

Dan

Using ProggyTiny, monospaced unselected. The first part has the $i=0 line selected (can see the cursor at the end of the line); second part has the while line selected. The 0 is bolded in the second, while the while & 10 is unbolded. WinXP, PHPED 5025.

Cjunge wrote:
Using ProggyTiny, monospaced unselected. The first part has the $i=0 line selected (can see the cursor at the end of the line); second part has the while line selected. The 0 is bolded in the second, while the while & 10 is unbolded. WinXP, PHPED 5025.
Oh, I wonder if it has anything to do with me using ClearType... Got LCD displays, and ClearType makes it look better.
Veteran

Thanks for all the font pointers, everyone. Having tried all the ones mentioned, I can only conclude that my search continues. Many of these fonts would work quite well but for PhpED rendering them so poorly. At least my styles hold in selections, unlike for Cjunge.

Here are the number of lines I get at the same window size for each font I tested:

ProggySquare 8: 74
Unusable - the characters look terrible

ProggySquer 9: 67
Mostly okay, but slight clipping on right of some characters, and characters with a lot of internal detail, like 'm', 'w', and '@', are just blotches, especially in bold

Dina 8/9 pt: 46
Everything looks good, but it's also just way too big. From web site, 8 and 9 sizes should be different but aren't.

ProFont 9: 49
On the big side with some character clipping

ProFont 8: 62
Looks great overall, not too big, but lots of right-side clipping

ProggyClean 8/9: 57
Very similar to ProFont 8

ProggyTiny: 74
No smaller than ProggySquer 8, lots of clipping.

I've also noticed that the bitmap versions tend to be smaller than TT equivalents, and Windows can't try to apply ClearType to them (important, since that just gets sloppy at these small sizes)

BTW, looking at Terminal, the only thing I can see about it that might drive me batty is that the angle brackets (<,>) have too much curvature to them, enough to cause confusion with parentheses at smaller sizes or in quick glances. It doesn't matter, anyway, of course, since we can't use it Smile.

Playing around, I'm finding myself quite confused as to how fonts work in Windows. Specifically, everything is different in different programs. PhpED is the only one that clips characters, some editors will let you set font sizes that you can't in others, and some won't even show certain fonts that others show. It's weird.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

Highly recommend the microsoft-made font called "Consolas". I believe it was built into Vista, but its not terribly hard to find as a separate download as well.

I tried all the other mono fonts out there, never found one that really fit, especially for things like LCD smoothing & cleartype and all.

preview for you all (don't be steaz0ring mah c0dz0rz! Wink

Google is probably the best way to find it, and it looks absolutely gorgeous in PHPed (and any other app that supports windows built-in font smoothing).

Hello,

i agree - since i use Vista, i am very happy with "consolas".

After reading this thread i also tried the other suggested fonts - but consolas is my favourite (at the moment...)

Thomas
View user's profileFind all posts by tkahlSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

I found the Consolas Font Pack on Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displaylang=en

My initial impressions are positive Smile

what's about license? is it free?

Consolas is (c) by microsoft, so I think it's free. It's part of the default distribution anyway.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

Quoting from the Consolas Font Family install wizard:
Quote:
You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices running validly licensed copies of Microsoft Visual Studio and the Microsoft Windows operating system.

So, perfectly OK with PhpED for Windows, but not PhpEF for Linux Wink

Edit 2007/8/03: Fixed the quote to read "Microsoft Visual Studio and the Microsoft Windows"

Last edited by anno on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total

aha, it is okay only if you have licensed copies of Microsoft Visual Studio

My feelings:

If MS lawyers break down my door, angry over my unlicensed use of their precious monospaced font, I will consider myself lucky.
Other fonts