NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Install phped and leave current php and apache intact

Hi, I was about to install a trial of phped but stopped when I saw the php version install question. I currently run php4.3.11 and apache 1.3.35 on my local computer as that is what my website hoster runs. The install choices are install version 4 or 5,but not use existing version. Will the install replace my setup, or only make a setup that will be used when running phped and not if I start my apache server separately? I am mainly interested in using a stable debug environment, as the debugging environment I currently use(php-expert editor)crashes my computer regularly.
Any thoughts?

Thanks much

Oh-1 more question-Does anyone know for sure if the standard version allows me to use my php.ini and an external browser on my local machine, or is professional neeeded? It was unclear if this is included in what is meant by remote debugging, or available in the regular standard edition debugging set up.
Bob S.
Veteran

Hi, PhpED's version of PHP will NOT interfere with your existng install. PHP 4and/or 5 will be installed under PhpED install directory. Same goes to the webserver.
If you are interested in debugging with Apache webserver and existing PHP install, it can certainly be done and is fully supported - it is actually one of PhpED's main features.
You will need:
- PhpED Professional
- dbg module installed
- project mapping set

First one is easy - the trial is Professional version and our online shop is wide open 24/7 too Smile
For the other two please take a look at this Forum post explaining how to do it (it is also in PhpED Manual):
howto-set-project-mapping-t2135.html
I hope it helps.
Thanks for the answer

Thanks Yfaktor. That was one of the clearest answers to a question I have ever seen. I would prefer if the answer to the 2nd part about using the Standard version for existing php/apache install was different, and that I would not need the professional as I am a very cheap! I wish I could test standard, as I probably won't spent the money for professional as a part time programmer for my own uses. Maybe the next time there is a sale.
Thanks again,
Bob S.
Install phped and leave current php and apache intact