NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
incremental search

hi there,

is it possible to tell phped to incrementally search through files? I have a file with hundreds of variable declerations and I like to know where each and every of this variables is used throughout the project. The search feature of phped gives a perfect result, but only for a single search. I don't want to perform the same task hundreds of times Crying or Very sad

m*
View user's profileFind all posts by MarcusSchwarzSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Guru master

In the workspace or the explorer view, right click on the root of the project/directory you wish to search in and then pick "Search in files" from the menu.
It works just like the regular search but outputs all hits to the log-window. Doubleclicking a resultline in the log opens the appropriate file and jumps to the correct line. Hope that helps.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

aloha,

I'm sorry, I think I couldn't tell exactly what I ment. Maybe best is an example

File a:
Code:

$var1 = 'blabla';
$var2 = 'foo';
$var3 = 'bar';

I have lots of files like "a" with hundreds of variable definitions (and nothing else) in that files (think of like an language-file)

Now I would like to search each of these variables if it is used (and where) throughout the project. Surely "search in files" works as expected, but only for "$var1". I have to start the search for every single $var

After month or years of developing a project you have tons of non-used variables. Eclipse for java for example has such a feature, it automatically marks non-used variables. Maybe I should have called the topic like that, stupid me Very Happy

m*

edit: just found this: code-analysis-t3129.html
hopefully dmitri ment this to come with the next build Twisted Evil
View user's profileFind all posts by MarcusSchwarzSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Site Admin

no, it's not a short-term feature and may not come with the next build, yet.
Although, you may want to run lookup for variables in Code Insight database created for your project.
See <projectname>.ppx file. It's an xml that holds all scripts parsed. You may use any xml-aware tools or just a regular text editor.