NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Build 4037

Quote:
We run some good tests over 4035 and found some memory leaks (mostly OLE strings). It's been fixed in 4037 which has no known repeatable leaks or leaks that raise memory usage.

I'm still runing build 4033 v. 4.0. How do I upgrade to build 4037 and is it a stable build?

Monitoring memory usage when editing big files, I couldn't see any single activity that accounted for a big jump in memory usage. Saving big files after quite a few alterations seems to use an extra 2 to 6 MB, which sometimes returns back to pre-save levels, though at least half the time it didn't. Copying or pasting big blocks of code sometimes had an impact and sometimes didn't. Often pasting short strings (< 50 chars) overwriting existing texts in several different places at a time made a big difference in memory usage, sometimes adding as much as 1 MB for each paste. Again sometimes it would return to pre-paste levels, but often not. Text editing had a varied effect, with changes to existing code and variables seeming to have the greatest effect. Debugging has remarkably little effect on memory, almost always recovering back to pre-debug levels. My gut feel is that the memory increase could be due to undo history, because it seems to get worse the longer you keep editing, and the increase seems to grow more rapidly with continued editing (hope I'm making sense). On small files the increase in memory usage is hardly noticeable, but in big files the increase is quite rapid, reaching unusable levels within a relatively short time. I've got into the habit of restarting PhpED after every 30 mins or so, or after an intense editing period.
View user's profileFind all posts by pointySend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Site Admin

Well. I was editing quite a big php file (684K, 33300 lines) and while doing it I monitored memory usage each 15 minutes. Below are the results:

0min 46.87
15min 50.671
30min 49.082
45min 49.950
1h 49.655
1h 15min 50.278
1h 30min 50.851
1h 45min 51.130
2h 50.311

As far as I see, memory usage does not grow or at least grows very slowly, probably because of editor undo buffer.
I'm not saying there is no problem, I just can't replicate it (if there is any).
Please while monitoring the memory try to a) close current file and open it again b) switch to another (possibly empty) project and switch back.
Either a) or b) may restore memory usage. If so please let me know about it.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Does version 4 have a memory leak?