NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
database manager

Hi

Is there any chance to get a database manager instead DB browser that is now?

Something more like phpmyadmin. I whould really like to edit database within the application

Thanks
Cristian
Site Admin

it's actually more than DB browser. If you double click on a database, you get DB details form where you can run SQL scripts and see DB object details.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Yes but it would be nice if we could do things without writing the queries ourselves to save time.

Just like phpMyAdmin does.

For instance changing table structure by right clicking and/or clicking a value and changing it within the browser.

To throw in a dissenting opinion...

Why do people always want an IDE to do everything, and the . sink? While PhpED is a great editor... it's a PHP editor, not a database manager, not an FTP client, not a terminal. It HAS those features, but that's to make the developer's life easier.

Why not expect adequate features, rather than full blown features? Why not use the right tool for the right job?

PHPMyAdmin works great, or even use the MySQL Administrator. I even use Filezilla as an FTP client as it's more flexible than PhpED, and I use Putty instead of the built in terminal stuff.

Just amazes me how some people want the editor to do all these sideline things, rather than focus mainly on being a damn good editor with useful features thrown in as well.

Cameron *dons flameproof undies*

Quote:
Why do people always want an IDE to do everything, and the . sink? While PhpED is a great editor... it's a PHP editor, not a database manager, not an FTP client, not a terminal. It HAS those features, but that's to make the developer's life easier.

No one ever said it --had-- to do everything.

It is called a feature request.

Why does microsoft word have to do so much more than let users type?
Why does google let you do so much more than just search?
Why does the iphone let you do so much more than make calls?

Probably because there is a demand for having one product/company/software that can do multiple things that are related.

bendj wrote:
Probably because there is a demand for having one product/company/software that can do multiple things that are related.

Agreed, they are related... but they're not special, or really doing anything different that a stand-alone version is.

The biggest reason that your examples do what they do is synergy - the whole is greater than the parts.

Why did MySQL release MySQL Administrator when PHPMyAdmin does what it does, and more? Because it does it differently. They both have their purposes, and would take a lot of effort to replicate in PhpED, I would say.

My main point is that I've seen many requests for various edge cases ("I do _____ this way, can you add ___ so PhpED can support the way I do it?") which to the majority of people would be a) unused, and b) pointless.

To put an individual spin on it, I'd prefer that my money was put towards fixing bugs and adding commonly requested features, rather than duplicating features that are provided perfectly well by various other applications.

I was not requesting a full featured database manager.

My earlier post may have been vague. I would simply like to see inserting, updating, deleting of rows/columns/tables. I believe some of these are already integrated via the menu. Adding the others wouldn't be much work at all I assume. All of the other features of say phpMyAdmin are not needed.
database manager