NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
4.0 - Loading issue *solved*

My first time trying PHPEd, and for the most part it seems pretty decent. I am having a major show-stopping issue that I would like to figure out how to resolve.

Whenever I save a file that is in my project, PHPEd loads every file in the project. The status bar says "Loading: path/to/dir/*.*", freezing all PHPEd activity until it finishes. Occassionly it just loads one directory and stops, but usually it seems to go through every directory that is in the project recursively. Fine for a small local project... but I'm working with a project on a network filesystem.

I've turned off every option I could come up with that might be causing it to look at all the files without luck. If someone could clue me in if there is a solution or not, that would be great. Otherwise, my trial has to be shelved as it is barely useable for someone with a ctrl+s addiction.

4.0 Build 4033eval
Site Admin

If the Explorer window shows the directory where the file is located, it is refreshed each time you save this file. The same is for the Workspace window.
Either select another directory or get a faster network. All "locally" available disks are refreshed in "foreground", while all directories available from remote accounts like FTP or SFTP, are refreshed in background. It can't be changed.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

This is an issue for me as well. We have recently upgraded from 3.3 which didn't have this type of action. As we have whole web sites in the same Subversion tree, in PHPed we treat them as a single project (seeing as many areas of the site use shared components etc they are effectively one application).

This means that saving a file in the webroot, results in over 80,000 files being scanned (at least that's how many there are in the webroot or lower). Each save takes 3 or 4 mins!

Is there any way to disable this functionality - as it is making PHPEd almost unusable for us.
The same problem here

I have the same problem. I have a rather large web, which I have shared using samba to my development system. When I save a file, it will refresh the directory that file is in, including all subdirectories. For my root folder, it's almost better to use "Save as..." to save the file outside the tree and then moving it back in from Windows Explorer. Of course not the right way to do this, but it saves me time Sad

The suggestion above that the reloading will take place if the directory is visible cannot be reproduced by me. If I collapse the full directory tree, there is no change at all. Also, if I completely remove the workspace and explorer tabs from my working environment, reloading will take place.

It's no fun to have to work like this. Although there's probably some good reason for reloading all of the tree, I'd love to see a feature where this could be disabled. I'm working on my own in the web tree, so the tree information that is visible, is exactly the information that will be found on refresh. No need for reloading there.

If there's another solution, I'd love to hear it.
Site Admin

Quote:
When I save a file, it will refresh the directory that file is in, including all subdirectories.

if it refreshes all subdirectories, it's a bug then. It should not do it recursively in this case.
If so, it will be fixed and hotfix will be available to v4 customers pretty soon.

Quote:
If I collapse the full directory tree, there is no change at all

I said about Explorer window, probably you're taking about tree in the Workspace window.

Quote:
results in over 80,000 files being scanned

I can hardly imagine if anybody could work with 80000 files at a time.
To workaround the problem, split your project in some number of projects, all in one workspace. Each would point to a subdirectory and active project (bolded) would be the project your're currently working with.
Also, you may save your time if you add unnecessary files (by their masks) to "Hide files" list, for example *.tmp;*.jpg etc, you may also want to add unneeded direcotries to the "Hide directories" list. These settings are project-wide. Additionally you may have similar settings per-directory, see "properties" option in the popup for project folders.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
Whenever I save a file that is in my project, PHPEd loads every file in the project

phped v4 build 4042 does not refresh whole the project when a file is saved. Only file's directory is refreshed. No upper or lower directories are touched anymore.

That is wonderful! It would make lots of my editing actions quicker. How would I obtain the newer build? Since I do not have any upgrades available within my customer profile.
Site Admin

We renew links in the customer's area and update description only after all QA tests are passed.
Anyway, please contact support by email or through CONTACT_US page.
Thank you.

I got the build in which the loading method was changed from your support dpt. I can confirm that it now has the desired behaviour for me. I can now quickly edit and save and PHPed has become tons of editing fun for me Cool So thanks for changing this!
Site Admin

4044 is even better and will come out with some more features.
Stay tuned Smile
4.0 - Loading issue *solved*