NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Site Admin

Why do you think it's not necessary? We can't fix problem if we don't know how it occurs. We tried many times but didn't reproduce it. We tried in many ways including all the steps posted above. We still have some clones on this VM with Windows 10 installed solely to investigate this issue. Of course we tried some frameworks too, not just trivial set of files.

Quote:
many developers have less powerful machine than you do

Really don't want to go into this rabbit whole, but it's not that powerful as you think. It's more than 10 years old hardware and even older in the office.
Bit anyway, can you check that your network, disk, ram or CPU are saturated for these 30-60sec when IDE freezes? That would be a very good hint into what sort of problem(s) we're dealing with.
Even if nothing is saturated, that'd be useful too as, for example, it may happen that some timeout is somewhere finally unblocks something.

[quite]1. create virtual machine with poor/average hardware[/quite]
What host OS are you using? Can you reproduce the issue in native environment?

As of the 2nd feature -- it only may sounds trivial. But imagine for a second - we need UI changes, ideally changes in the manual, this input should be saved with Workspace and loaded with Workspace too, this input should be submitted with the other search settings to the searching thread. It's where it should split string into directories, handle properly absolute and relative subdirectories, work properly in local and remote accounts (or absolute path should not be allowed here? -- need to think about it), work properly in Search In Files and Replace In files as the inputs are the same for the two, ideally integration tests should be created and unit tests too. My rough estimation is 1 week. Probably 2 would be fair. But because v20 is open for major issue fixes only, we have no way with this feature in this version, I can only plan it for the next version. As of the 1st - it's an issue, not a new feature. If it is a race condition, we'd better fix it in this version sooner rather than later.

As a temporary workaround for the 2nd feature request - can you enter multiple directories into Directory input? Delimit them with semicolon and that's it.

We simply have different views. I believe without investigating the issue you can stop deep object recursion any time if user checked such a checkbox in settings. but whatever.
Just say yes or no, or let me know when new feature is there and I will supply you logs/dumps, help with anything.

And yes, I am aware that 2/ it is not trivial, but that's the value added to YOUR product and YOUR customers will appreciate it - so your sales may start growing in time, right?
Do not overcomplicate it - support only most typical cases and later if requested by multiple users enhance the functionality. You definitely don't need to support search for remote files and only one case - either relative paths or absolute - not both, chose what's simpler. Apply Pareto's rule 80:20 (80% of cases can be covered with 20% of typical effort).

It is a shame that you are preventing to add new features just because they are not trivial.
I have added many new features required by my customers in one of my projects. I found that some features are greatly appreciated but some of them are not. It is a mix of statistical success (curve of normalized distribution). My project grew up over time thanx to 60% of appreciated features which, however, cost me 40% of my wasted working time. So your 1-2 weeks on adding highly demanded feature is really not a big deal and you will be paid back in time.
So release v21 asap with new feature(s), tooltip can be fixed even in v21, v22 ...
Site Admin

Quote:
I believe without investigating the issue you can stop deep object recursion any time if user checked such a checkbox in setting

it sounds like you encountered freezes and jumped into conclusion that it's because of recursion. May be you're right, but we need to exclude some other possibilities first. I'd think about race(s) too because 30-60 is kind of too much and because if that's races, the problem may happen again with proposed changes for the tooltip.
If you're busy and can't help, it's okay. May be someone, who experiencing these freezes can help?