NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Same experience as simshaun. 64 bit build (12010) on Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, 8GB RAM. I had a look in the Task Manager and there seemed to be a fair bit of free memory. My project did include a number of earlier versions of various directories, which I then deleted, but got the same warning again. The system drive is a Samsung SSD with a paging file set to an initial size of 200MB and maximum 2GB, as recommended by Samsung. As with simshaun, I never experienced this before with earlier builds on the same project. It may be of some significance that I'm running Fiddler, which seems to be the most memory-hungry application at 921.3MB (!), but I did in the past without problem.

That eventually became a royal pain in the neck, even though I closed every application I didn't need, so I upgraded to build12034. So far so good, even though I don't see a reference to it in the changelog. Note that I had used 12010 for some time before this problem started to occur, so it may not be PHPEd's fault. Maybe something else installed recently?

Well, no, the update made no difference in the long run. Admittedly I have a lot of apps running and RAM usage is at 67%, but I don't have them running just for fun and it was never a problem before.
Site Admin

Open Taskmanager and check Committed Memory on Performance tab. If it shows for example 7GB out of 8GB, the memory is actually used by 87.5% and system will soon return VM OS Errors to the applications and they may stop working properly after that. With phped you get warnings before you lose your work.
To avoid this you can either make your swap file larger, or close the most memory consuming applications.

If PhpED has a working set of only 405MB then what else is using all your memory? Even with very large projects (most of my PHP work is Magento) I don't think I ever see PhpED go above 700-800MB.

On the other hand Firefox can use up a lot of memory over time and every so often I have to restart it, although newer versions seem better. I've seen Chrome with lots of tabs open taking up a seriously huge amount of memory (many processes and many GB's of memory). I have a colleague who is a big Chrome user often with 30+ tabs often open and lots of plugins which appear to run in sandboxed proceses; he sometimes runs out of memory on an 8GB computer.

In Task Manager with all processes showing in the Details tab, have any other processes got a large working set, or are there lots of processes using the same image name? Peak working set can sometimes be a useful indicator of a process that has at some point gone 'rogue'.

In the Performance tab, how much of memory is In Use / Available / Comitted / Cached?

My system run low on virtual memory.
There is a problem. I have 16gb ram. Now only 9.1gb are used. I still have 6.9gb free ram.
How can i fix this bug ?
thank you

Again.
Now i have used 7.4gb of 16gb ram, 43%.
Here is a screenshot of memory usage, if you need it.
_http://i57.tinypic.com/21edk4i.jpg
Guru master

You can report problems to NuSphere using http://www.nusphere.com/contact_us/

Your image shows a commit charge which could be a lot larger than 7.4GB but I can't see how many other processes there are. Commit is possibly what PhpED uses because that indicates the maximum potential memory usage at any point in time.

Do you have 16GB physical memory, or do you have 8GB physical memory + 8GB page file? If it is 16GB physical, how big is your page file?

Thank you for reply.
I have 16gb physical memory. I have disabled page file. I dont think a program can use all that memory, and right now i still have 8gb free physical memory avaiable.
Guru master

Photoshop was using nearly 8GB and in Windows it is easy for a lot of processes (services, etc.) to add up to another few GB plus what Windows needs together with some additional free memory for disk cache, etc.

It might not affect your issue, but sometimes having a small page file (eg 1GB) is better than no page file, because some applications get upset if there is not a page file. Microsoft recommend that you do not disable the page file in Windows 7. Even with latest SSD you can keep using a paging file.

For my 16GB desktop I have a system managed page file which is currently 2.5GB and on a Windows server with 48GB memory the page file is 3GB.

The thing to bear in mind is that the warning might not be based on what physical memory you have free at this moment in time, but might be based on how much memory would be free if all running applications suddenly wanted their allocated memory at the same time. PhpED is trying to protect from that situation because apparently it can cause undesirable problems with the IDE if memory did run too low.

I'm certainly not suggesting that PhpED got its warning incorrect, so best to report it if you feel it is a bug.
Site Admin

alfredolo, What PhpED warned you about is SYSTEM MEMORY, not the memory taken by PhpED itself.
So you're checking wrong page in the task manager. What you need to check is Performance tab and memory utilization gauge. Click on it and check the values below the main chart.
BTW disabling page file is wrong idea. You'd better turn it back on. Consult with MS tech sites for further details on why.

8Gb laptop, suddenly memory warnings with PHPEd15-64, no, not touched page file settings.

I'll check my main rig later, it has 16Gb and untouched page file settings, if it throws the same errors I'm going to be pointing my finger at NuSphere.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlackGasSend private messageVisit poster's website
System is low on virtual memory