NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
More comfortable text selection

I dont like text selection in PhpEd.
It "smart" selection has better look in text processors like word and open ofice, but not in tool for coding.
It's first code editor where i see that selection and i think that it ll be loog better without it.
Veteran

Try turning off the "Extend select" option in Settings->Editor settings. This check box is pictured but not discussed in the docs; however, it seems to disable most of the smart editing features.

Personally, I almost never like "smart" editing features - what I'm trying do to varies slightly from case-to-case, which means it can't readily be predicted by software. The result is that me and the editor usually have different goals in mind, which leads to annoyance and wasted editing time. This goes for *any* editor. (For instance, I'm in Firefox right now. I just double-clicked a word to select it so that I could type a replacement. It "helpfully" selected the space after the word as well. When I typed the replacement, my new word was bunched with the next one, so I had to retype the space, too. This behavior would be fine if I were deleting a word, but not replacing a word. I hate it, and when I have time, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to disable it.)

I remember several years ago when BBEdit, which is a top-notch text editor on the Mac whose creator (Bare Bones Software) is famous for their dedication to the user experience, added smart editing features. You could turn them off, and they worked far better than their equivalents in Word, but even so, Bare Bones ended up scrapping it altogether after a couple of versions. Why? Because they just couldn't get it *perfect*, which is what their users demand. And rather than tarnish usability with a feature that's supposed to predict a non-deterministic behavior (which is impossible to do with 100% accuracy - and even worse in a programming environment), they just killed it.

Incidentally, beyond the not-so-smart smart editing features, text selection in the IDE still drives me a little wacky. Some of it is just bugs that I've been meaning to report, and some of it is just that Windows in general lacks in this area. Whatever....
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

Thank you Smile
sometimes i need to RTFM Smile
More comfortable text selection