NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
File encoding questions

Hi,

I have a project which contains a mixture of UTF-8 encoded files and ISO-8859-1 encoded files (please don´t ask...).

My system default setting in phpED is UTF-8 and for this special project I set up the encoding in the project properties to ISO-8859-1 (as this is the standard-encoding for this project). So my question is, how phpED handels UTF-8 encoded files within this project? Are these files automatically converted to ISO because of the project settings or are they still UTF-8 encoded, and if so, how to switch from one encoding to another? What will happen if I edit one of these UTF-8 encoded files and save - are they saved in ISO or remain in UTF-8?

Another question is, if there is a possibility the switch from ISO to UTF-8 encoding and vice versa and convert all the project files at once? At last I am interested how I can check if a file is ISO or UTF-8 encoded with the help of phpED? I´ve tried to find some tools doing these jobs, but my search wasn´t successful, so I would prefer a build-in phpED solution.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
Sares
Site Admin

Quote:
Are these files automatically converted to ISO because of the project settings

No. It does not change anything but may help the IDE to recognize file encodings when it opens them in the editor.
In particular, if you open a file it will fist check if you ever opened this file and take encoding from this history. If you never opened the file, it will check directory settings. FYI you can set different default encodings for different directories in the project. If this encoding is not set, it will keep going upper toward project root directory until it reaches it or an encoding is specified. What you set for the project is acctually applied to the project root directory.