NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Failed to upload file ... 403 Forbidden

I am brand new to PhpED. When I try to upload my first file to the server I get an error message "Failed to upload file <local file path & name> to <server path & file name> HTTP 1.1 403 Forbidden.

The paths are correct - I can download files from the server. I can upload the same file in other programs such as WS_FTP. I can upload it from phped after I've uploaded it first in WS_FTP and then changed the permissions from 644 to 666.

What's wrong?

Thanks,
Judy
Site Admin

Quote:
<server path & file name> HTTP 1.1 403 Forbidden

it looks like you're trying to upload using WEBDAV, not FTP. Right?

Quote:
I can upload it from phped after I've uploaded it first in WS_FTP and then changed the permissions from 644 to 666.

it depends on who is the file's group and owner and what account (user name and its group) you use for connecting from PhpED and WS_FTP.

Thanks for your help, Dmitri.

Quote:
it looks like you're trying to upload using WEBDAV, not FTP. Right?

Yes, you're right that I'm using WebDAV - sorry I neglected to mention that. I am not familiar with WebDAV, and my colleague who manages the server set up the account that way. Would it be better to use FTP?

Quote:
it depends on who is the file's group and owner and what account (user name and its group) you use for connecting from PhpED and WS_FTP.

I am using the same username & password to connect to the site via PhpED/WebDAV and WS_FTP. What else do I need to do to be able to upload the files from PhpED?

Thanks,
Judy
Site Admin

Quote:
Yes, you're right that I'm using WebDAV - sorry I neglected to mention that. I am not familiar with WebDAV, and my colleague who manages the server set up the account that way. Would it be better to use FTP?

When you work with files using FTP and SFTP, they work for you under real user account, while WebDAV runs under user account that runs HTTP and only checks credentials. By default, this user (nobody, apache or something like this) has very limited rights and it's fine.
In other words, if you switch to FTP or SFTP the problem with file permissions will gone.