NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
FTP issue

Hi, I'm trying to upload files to a remote FTP server. I set up a publishing account and everything went OK. The files were uploaded properly. But what I see is that when I upload a file 3 operations are done:
1) Uploading a file (this is successful)
2) Reading directory (this is also successful)
3) Reading directory (this fails and asks for authentication again!!)

What is causing me a problem is the last dir read. The server I'm uploading to only accepts 1 simultaneous FTP connections at a time and from the error message in PhpED, PhpED tries to perform 2 FTP operations at the same time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Slawek

Ok, I think I figured it out. The problem was that I had McAfee Suite running and I believe it was preventing a response from the FTP server causing the FTP client to re-ask for login credentials. I shut down McAfee and I don't have the issues I reported any more. BTW, I also had the same problem (double re-read of FTP dir) when I tried using the FTP Explorer directly (and not using the FTP upload through PhpEd).

Argghh... ignore my last post... it worked for 1 file but the problem still persists...
Veteran

What is the FTP server used? Can you submit the error logs to the techsupport (understanably you might not be willing to publish FTP logs here - but I might be wrong and there is nothing sensitive)

Hi yfaktor, no unfortunately I'm uploading my files to a web hosting company and they don't say what type of FTP server they are using. And I cannot get their FTP log. A couple of more things that might or might not make a difference:
1) I'm running MS Vista. I didn't have this issue with XP which I was using before.
2) Same problem occurs when I use the FTP Explorer.

Question: do you think this is a server issue or a client issue? Does PhpEd use it's own FTP client or the built-in Windows one?

Thanks for your help,

Slawek

I've never used FTP Explorer before, but in looking at its website, in the lower portion of the screen should be the log area:

When you first login, the system might give an indication of what ftp server it is. It is usually the very first line right before your ftp client sends the USER command. If not, you can probably request the version by doing a raw command of "site vers". If vers doesnt work, try "site help" and see if you have access to any site commands that will allow you to view the version. I think FTP Explorer calls raw commands "quote".

That should at least get you closer to figuring out which FTP Server your host is using.

Slawek wrote:
Question: do you think this is a server issue or a client issue? Does PhpEd use it's own FTP client or the built-in Windows one?

I'm pretty sure PhpEd uses its own ftp client since it supports FTP over SSL and SFTP. I'd also try disabling Vista's firewall and any other 3rd party firewalls you are using and try again to see if that "fixes" the problem. Of course, make sure to turn your firewalls back on once you've finished testing. Wink The other thing to try is to set-up another account in PhpEd on a different ftp server to see if you have the same problem. That way you can begin to narrow it down to the server or your client.
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi yfaktor, no unfortunately I'm uploading my files to a web hosting company and they don't say what type of FTP server they are using. And I cannot get their FTP log. A couple of more things that might or might not make a difference:
1) I'm running MS Vista. I didn't have this issue with XP which I was using before.
2) Same problem occurs when I use the FTP Explorer.

Thanks for your help,

Slawek

Maybe it's just a problem caused by Vista if it closes FTP data or control connections.
I'd recommend you to adjust number of simultaneous connections on the server or do never use FTP explorer and publishing simultaneously. They work independently and use separated connections.