NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
default binding for (ctrl+y)

So I change my undo key mapping to ctrl-y. Then, I do an upgrade (say from 5019 to 5020, but this also happened from 4.6.3 to 5.0). After the upgrade, the edit drop-down menu says ctrl+y, and the setting in ide/settings says ctrl+y, but ctrl+y deletes a line. So I look in editor/shortcuts, and delete line is set to use ctrl+y.

It seems that ide settings should take precedence over editor shortcuts.

But, here is the bug. If I delete the ctrl+y setting in settings/editor shortcuts, then ctrl+y does not do anything (even though it is defined in ide settings). I have tried restarting the editor at this point but it does not fix it. I have also tried deleteing the setting in ide settings and adding it again, but that does not fix it either. Finally, i deleted the setting, then restarted the editor, and that finally fixed it.

This may also occur with other settings, but I have not noticed them.

This is small, but it is kind of a pain to have to keep going thru for each upgrade (but I love the upgrades and bug fixes!!)

-r
Site Admin

What IDE function did you assign with Ctrl+Y shortcut?

Quote:
It seems that ide settings should take precedence over editor shortcuts.

Editor shortcuts are active only while the focus is in the editor. In all other cases, they simply have no effect and IDE shorctuts are working. It's by design and won't be changed.

When I installed 4.6.3, I set the IDE redo function to ctrl-y and I deleted the editor shortcut that was originally assigned to ctrl-y (delete line).

Then, when I installed 5.0, delete line was again set to ctrl-y, and on the edit drop down menu, it said the redo function was set for shift-ctrl-z. But, in the IDE shortcuts, it still said ctrl-y. If I used ctrl-y, it would delete a line, not undo. So, I deleted the ctrl-y setting for delete line. At that point, ctrl-y would not do anything. So, I went back to IDE settings and deleted ctrl-y from redo, and added it again. Still, it said shift-ctrl-z in edit drop down menu next to redo, and ctrl-y would not work (shift-ctrl-z did work). Finally, I deleted ctrl-y from IDE shortcut for redo and left it blank. I then re-started phped. Then I went back to IDE shortcuts and added ctrl-y to redo and it worked.

Hope that helps Smile

-r

don't know if you guys use windows on a regular basis, but CTRL-Y is almost ALWAYS bound to the UNDO command.

Now, instead of undoing, it's bound to the delete line command AND tough to rebind?

started using PHPed today and was totally happy and ready to give up Zend until I irrevocably trashed a file due to this unexpected binding scheme.

Then restarted from scratch and found that the settings menu couldn't easily rebind the key, which was frustrating.

Sure, if I used traditional command line editors I'd probably be used to the key binding, but then I wouldn't be using Windows.

edit: i still can't get the CRTL-Y to bind to redo, even after pulling the crtl-y delete line command. I guess i'll just retrain my hands. totally ridiculous.

edit 2: oh, so there's a binding for editor redo as well. how wonderfully confusing. what exactly does the IDE redo redo? Haven't been able to find anything yet that can be redone.
Site Admin

Dear Tobjar,
I understand your complain and accept your inquiry, but I know no tools under Windows that use Ctrl+Y for UNDO. Could you please list at least one? MS tools use it for Redo, Borland and many other tools use it for delete line.
On the other hand, there is no porblem to change shorcuts used by the editor. Just open Tools->Settings->Editor Shortcuts and they will be used by the editor. What you probably changed are shortcuts for the IDE. They are used by the other parts, for example by the input controls, not by the editor and that's why your changes did not work.
Regarding Redo functionality, it's quite simple. You change your code, then you can undo some changes, then what you undone you can redo again.

Well... Looks like only Zend and Word do, in my tests.

So you're right -- most Windows applications use CTRL-SHIFT-Z (much to my surprise -- I guess I don't redo very often) making my case the exception, which means the responsibility is really mine. I must apologize for my short-tempered post -- my only excuse is that the difficulty I had in resetting the binding did not make losing thirty minutes of changes much better. I should probably set it back to CTRL-SHIFT-Z and unlearn the CTRL-Y thing.

that said, otherwise I am enjoying PHPEd very much .. the only other complaints I have (and they are minor) is that the tab placement of the NuSOAP block and Terminal menu doesn't seem to be remembered by the app (i'm not using a workspace, don't know if i need to for this to happen -- the explorer moved fine ... maybe i need to move it, pin, then unpin? dunno.) and that polystyle doesn't really seem to affect the file (my fault again, i'm sure -- i switched to PHPCB, which seems to work great and is free).
Site Admin

Changings made to placement of the tabs are not remembered if you do them while IDE is in full screen mode. Indeed, when IDE enters to full screen, it just tries to provide the editing area with as much space as possible and therefore it unpins all docked tabs, so they are losing their positions.