NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[RESOLVED] Webserver won't start

Hello!

I have a problem getting the debugger running with php-4.3.2 and both dbg-2.11.1 (compiled by mysqlf) and the commercial version dbg-3.1.8 included in PHPEd 4.6. I have put the module in the php extension directory according to where phpinfo() wants it, and I have modified the php.ini. When I have done this, the webserver (apache-1.3.27) doesn't want to start anymore. If I delete the 'extension=dbg.so' line in php.ini, everything works fine, but without the debugger.

The funny thing is, when I invoke php with 'php -i', it says that the debugger is properly installed...

I have a version of php where the php binary and the apache module are built with different configure options, maybe this is the point?
Site Admin

What does make you thinking web server crashes?
Could you post the lines server adds to the error_log when you're trying to start it?

The point is, the webserver doesn't even put something in the error log, it only terminates unexpectedly without saying something and alle httpd processes are killed.

Could it be that some configure options while compiling PHP make it unable to use the debugger? I have already compiled PHP without the --enable-versioning option after I found this tip with Google.
Site Admin

Whenever Apache web server crashes or can't start for whatever reason, it always puts an error message into the error_log.
If there is just nothing, it means that you didn't run it or tried to run it under wrong user account which has no rights to write to error_log.
Normally, Apache (apachectl or httpd in /etc/init.d/httpd) should be run with root account.

Regarding --enable-versioning, it looks like a bogus and misleading option. Php manual tells that this option "Exports only required symbols. See INSTALL for more information", INSTALL tells nothing. I tried this option and got completely useless php binary which had no symbols exported at all.

Sorry, my Apache really doesn't put something in the error_log, although I'm running it with root and error_log and /var/log/httpd is writeable by the apache user (otherwise it would be an empty file, I suppose...). The last lines I see don't match the time I tried to restart it, they're too old, and there's no difference if I run apachectl instead of /etc/init.d/httpd. Maybe that's a bug in my Apache version...
Site Admin

I think it's php binary is bronken, not Apache. What arguments did you supply to configure? Run make clean, remove config.cache and run configure again with as less options as possible, I'd recommend to remove all except --prefix and apxs (or apxs2 depending on apache version).

I tried now to compile a new version of php (4.4.4) with only --prefix=/opt/php --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-config-file-path=/opt/php/lib/php.ini and voilĂ  it works. the 4.3.2 version was from an src-rpm and therefore with much too much configure options - almost 10 lines...
Site Admin

Thanks for updating with good news Smile
Could you please submit those 10 lines? I'll check if they are okay. And btw, what's rpm distro did you try?

Once you compiled php yourself, there should be no problems with commercial (dbg-3.1.Cool or with free (dbg-2.15.1) versions.

The almost ten lines from the non-working php-4.3.2 are:

'./configure' 'i386-redhat-linux' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--cache-file=../config.cache' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--enable-force-cgi-redirect' '--disable-debug' '--enable-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--enable-inline-optimization' '--with-bz2' '--with-db3=/usr' '--with-curl' '--with-dom=/usr' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-gd' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-ttf' '--with-gdbm' '--with-gettext' '--with-ncurses' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-png' '--with-pspell' '--with-regex=system' '--with-xml' '--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-safe-mode' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-discard-path' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-yp' '--enable-wddx' '--without-oci8' '--with-pear=/usr/share/pear' '--with-imap=shared' '--with-ldap=shared' '--with-mysql=shared,/usr' '--with-pgsql=shared' '--with-snmp=shared,/usr' '--with-snmp=shared' '--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--with-unixODBC=shared' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-versioning' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dio' '--enable-mcal' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs'

(ok, it's more the ten lines Very Happy)
It didn't work either after I removed the --enable-versioning option.

I used a special rpm distro which is included in a Linux distribution specially made for school servers, it can be found here: http://www.google.com/search?q=php-4.3.2-4iserv . As far as I can see it is based on the php-4.3.2-3 distro from Redhat 7.3...

Anyways, with my self-compiled 4.4.4 version and all the options I need (IMAP, PostgreSQL...) I am finally able to run the debugger.
Site Admin

at least 4.3.2 is not that new version to care about Smile