NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
clean up search in files interface

It appears that search in files only shows results in the Log window. It would be nice to have a dedicated Search Results window. What warrants a whole new window is additional functionality like offering actions to take on search results (open all, show finds, hide errors, search again..)
Veteran

100 % Agree.

If you have a large application the search in files's output is really useless, it takes foreever to find your searched string in the logs.

I, too, would love to see a feature like this. We are currently using the trial at work to see if it is preferred over our current IDE and so far this is the only complaint about it that I have. The log window is far too cluttered to be at all useful when searching for a code snippet over a large project, which I do quite often.
Veteran

A program I've mentioned around here previously in a search context is BBEdit, the Mac text editor. When you do a multi-file search in it, it generates what it calls a browser window (nothing to do with web browser). The browser lists all the hits. When you click on a hit, the browser window has a lower pane in which it will show the area of the file that has the hit, and if you double-click the hit, it opens the file and selects the hit.

As I've done before, I strongly suggest the PhpED team model its searching features off of BBEdit's. Extremely powerful and flexible, yet very easy to use, it's way, way, way beyond anything I've seen on Windows or even elsewhere on the Mac (yes, including TextMate). If at all possible, I'd actually download the demo and play around with it to actually experience it firsthand. If that's not possible, just browse the PDF manual, which is excellent.

View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
clean up search in files interface