NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Getting debugger to work

Hi, I used to have DBG debugger working under windows on my machine, but after Nusphere install(perhaps other cause)I can't get my php info to say "yes" next to debug build.(This is when I run the Phpinfo from PHPED but opening in an external browser window. )
I was looking at this issue as I could not get any debugging to take place in the browser window after clicking debug on the toolbar.(debug session is highlighted.)

I have set up Phped with remote debugging, on my local machine. I was trying with an IE browser window outside of the editor as the debug icon is not lit in the editor when an html file is open.

Also, the message at the bottom of the of the PHP head information next to the dimitri copywrite says dbg 2.13.1 although the support says it should be 3.x,but my DBG listener does say version 3.1.7. So do I need to download a different dbg module(not the free one? I did copy the dbg module 4.3xx into my php extensions directory. I already had a 4.3.11 version there. Is this 4.3x version need to be uncompressed or something?

Any hints on why my DBG build in the php info says NO? I have the extensions lines, the [debug] comments etc all there.

Bob S.
Debugging

I was a bit confused on my question it appears. Although the "DBG build" says No, I do have a DBG section in my php info page, and the debugging install seems okay as it is working in another php editor that uses my external php.ini file. So the question perhaps is not how to fix a debug install problem, but how to use it in PHPed, and why the versions are different(2.1 vs 3.1). I read, and seemed to follow all the steps in the "how to install link" in the support, but if i try to run a web page after clicking debug page on the tool bar, or debug session on the tool bar, my programs just run with no debug taking place.
Site Admin

PhpED will work with debugger modules it comes with. Please read FAQ on how to install debugger modules and where to take them from.

all works fine. Although a very confusing issue is that if an HTML code file is open in the editor, any debugging on scripts called from a post from that page will have the editor constantly switching focus to the html file every line. Then I have to click back to the php script,step a line,the editor switched back to the html file, I click back, step, and I am back in the html file. If I close the html file out of the editor then steppig works fine. Weird.
Thanks
Bob S.
Site Admin

I'm not sure what "html" and "php" files the IDE switches between you mean. Could you provide more details and screenshots?

Hi, I will try to clarify my previous post as requested, although I can't give you exact steps at I can not debug due to the 50 sessions limit on the evaluation software. I reached this quickly due to the problems I had initially and that today I was trying to debug php code embeded in html files and kept getting hung up. I would like to test this last part, so Iwould appreciate another short trial period as I have only had about a day of working so far.
Can you debug php blocks in an html file? I was having problems running the debugger on a page before I clicked on a submit. For example, some of my html files, have a opening php block that calls a variable setting program. Some of the php variables are use in the html code withing <?php >? brackets. I wanted to try to look at these during execution.

The issue in my previous message was if I clicked "debug to next post" on the tool bar, from an html webpage in IE7(say form1.html), where the submit calls a php script, as I stepped through the php script line by line, as the debug moved from line to line the editor tab with the html file(form1.html) would pop up as the top tab on the screen. Then I would click back to the .php file, where the blue arrow would show me the line being executed,I would "step into" to move one more line and the form1.html code file would pop back up on the editor screen. I stopped this by just closing the form1.html file in the editor.
There also seemed to be an issue if you did not have the called script(on submit from web page) open in the editor,that the php file would not be opened automatically in the editor ,and it would appear the debug was hung. Once I was used to running it a little this was not a problem.
Site Admin

Sorry, still looks like a mess.

There are the following points/questions:
-you said you ran form1.html and debugged through it. Does it mean that your php script is in this file with html extension?
-you said "then I'd click back to the .php file". It's not clear what THE .php file you mean and why you'd expect it be there. If you need to debug php file, why do you need .html then? If you run form1.html, this file is supposed to run. If you debug php file, it'd be expected to appear in the debugger. Debugger always shows you current file you're debugging. Why would you need to switch to anything else or close that? Probably you're expecting or doing somethinmg wrong.
-you mentioned that something ( editor? ) hung. What did hang and under what conditions is still not clear to me.