NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Link to php.net documentation
Veteran

I have a suggestion for the help documentation.

Would it be possible to do either of the below (or both! Very Happy).

1) CTL-F1 takes you to php.net documentation of the function at cursor (Keep F1 as using the built in manual).
2) Have the built in manual contain a links to the live PHP.net manual pages?

The reason for this suggestion is that one of PHP's greatest documentation advantages over other languages is the comments that users submit to each documented function. I think this would really make people more productive.

I think implementation of idea #2 might be easy, depending on how docuemntation is compiled b/c PHP.net has a URL system that mimicks the function names. It'd be as easy as linking to php.net/array_filter/ (unfortunately my experience is only with the english language manual so I'm not sure how this would be implemented for other languages).
Guru master

Dunno if it would be as easy to do as you suggest it, but I second the idea nonetheless.
I find myself going to the online version quite often after I read the internal help, just for the comments.
So yeah, would be helpfull.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

just download chm with user comments and replace phped's with this one.
see http://www.php.net/download-docs.php
http://www.php.net/docs-echm.php

Yeah, I already tried that in the past, but for some reason I can't open those files here. I always get a "Cannot find file:///H:/phpdoc/en/<filename>.html'".
The "unblock" never appeared for me, and the registry things MaxAllowedZone etc to "allow using the chm" doesn't work either. For some reason only the
CHM files included in PHPEd work for me....

FYI: I don't even have a H: Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

starting with some internal version, IE rejects to open chm files located on shared disks. Please copy it on to a local one.

Blizz,

Where did you get the actual extended CHM? Every link I try (and I've tried a lot) on those pages downloads what apperas to be the regular CHM Sad.
Guru master

@Rudder: on the page to which dmitri posted the link, but the "Extended" CHM still doesn't contain the user comments (unless I'm blind), so nothing gained here except for some other minor advantages (more extended content table etc).

@dmitri: FYI - couldn't open the file on my laptop, my 2nd PC and my PC at home either...
So I got the brilliant idea to re-download the file but from a different mirror. The index page of both files says the same thing: "This file was generated: Thu Nov 23 00:00:18 2006" only there is about 200kb difference in size and the one I downloaded from the other mirror works without a problem. Guess they aren't really mirrors Smile
Site Admin

yep, it's always safer to download from php.net directly. People on the mirrors may provide you with previous (not really published) builds or whatever. I encountered this one or two times.