NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Debugger quits when single stepping

I just updated from v4.5 to v4.6. Now when I step through my code, I can do about 4-8 single steps using F8 and then PHPed goes to sleep. The step controls are all grayed out and only the pause button and red-X are active.

I can restart again, but it consistantly dies after a few steps. Breakpoints work fine.

I looked at the FAQs and updated to the appropriate php_dbg.dll and restarted Apache. The new DLL does the same thing. Any ideas?

Kevin
Site Admin

Probably there is something wrong with build 4616. Please re-download, I rolled back to 4615.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

That fixed it! There appears to be issues with the debugger in the 4616 build that are not in 4615.

Thanks Dmitrie! Very Happy

Kevin

I don't know if its related, but i am just evaluating version 4.6.17 and whilst in the middle of single stepping it crashed out on my and automatically shut down.

sametch wrote:
I don't know if its related, but i am just evaluating version 4.6.17 and whilst in the middle of single stepping it crashed out on my and automatically shut down.

Hello,
if that happens, please try immediately if you can actually still reach your apache in your browser
(meaning: right after the debugger "shut down" happened)?

I myself have xampp 1.5.3 (apache2/mysql5) and phped 4617 running locally on a WinXP laptop.
After a while (simultaneously browsing my local website and phpMyAdmin within several tabs in Firefox)
my apache2 also dies on me (no more responses) and so I just restart apache2/mysql (small batch file).

Since this is my first "php+debugging" platform I tried, I cannot say what may
cause apache to "crash", i.e. if that is in any way related to the debugger-dll or just
my apache2 configuration, so I better tend to point fingers towards myself. Wink

Regards,
Tobias
View user's profileFind all posts by condev1972Send private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

xampp runs PHP in multithreading mode (php5apache dll).
It's well known that PHP is NOT threadsafe (more precisely most of PHP extensions/libraries) are not threadsafe.
You should use CGI or FastCGI modules, not php5apache.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

ddmitrie wrote:
It's well known that PHP is NOT threadsafe...

I'm a noob to that regard. Smile Thanks for pointing this out, installed TechPlat now and will use it instead.
Thanks Dmitri,
Tobias
View user's profileFind all posts by condev1972Send private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

hmm, it's not really hard to update httpd.conf and have it loading php.exe (CGI). At least it would be easier for me Smile
BTW, TechPlatform by default runs php4apache too... So if you enable any non-threadsafe extension you may face up with the same problem.
BTW, did you check apache error_log to make sure it really crashed? Maybe you were debugging for long time and got browser timeout? Did anybody else work with the same web when you were debugging?

ddmitrie wrote:
hmm, it's not really hard to update httpd.conf and have it loading php.exe (CGI). At least it would be easier for me Smile
BTW, TechPlatform by default runs php4apache too... So if you enable any non-threadsafe extension you may face up with the same problem.
BTW, did you check apache error_log to make sure it really crashed? Maybe you were debugging for long time and got browser timeout? Did anybody else work with the same web when you were debugging?

Hello,
I'm not doing too much debugging right now. My apache "crashes" didn't really show up in the logs. I fear that something else (not the debugger+apache) is the problem since my system is running out of resources (not memory) after a while, probably related to the use of Firefox (1.5.0.5) with multiple tabs and some extensions.
Meaning: my apache problems are most likely not caused by phpEd. Smile

With regard to TechPlat: I'm basically using the default config of it with regard to modules and assume that I'm on the "safe" side then?

Thanks,
Tobias
Site Admin

Quote:
My apache "crashes" didn't really show up in the logs

Then they are not crashes.

Quote:
With regard to TechPlat: I'm basically using the default config of it with regard to modules and assume that I'm on the "safe" side then?

Yes if you a sole developer using this Apache. If there are multiple, I'd still recommend reconfigure to CGI or FastCGI.