NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
is remote debugging possible in my case?

hi

remote debugging involves a lot of setup work or atleast it looks so
can anyone quickly tel me if i'd be able to use it at all

i edit files directly on the unix server using phped though phped thinks it is a local folder as it is mounted to my windows
machine using netdrive.
directory on the unix is actually a working copy of svn powered repository
when i commit svn updates a test server
i access test server from the browser only

so basically there're 3 tiers in my development setup.

is it possible to have phped running on my windows computer debug code on the test server?

Thanks,
Alexei
Site Admin

Sure, remote debugging is possible in your case.
See "project properties" and "install debugger" HOWTO topics on the FAQ forum.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

When you edit a script in PhpEd and save it (on the mounted drive), do you immediately commit it to the repository and it will update the remote server?

Probably I'm missing something but how you test the stuff you saved *before* you commit?
Site Admin

probably Alexei knows what he is doing.
For sure, without commit he won't see changes on the test server.

BTW, I see no reason to have the 2nd layer (tier) in this scheme.
It's certinaly possible to run SVN on the development box and be okay.
Moreover, if there are multiple developers working on the same set of files or if he works from different locations, it even more important to have non-shared files but shared repository.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

My question was aiming in that direction that I was not sure where he has his test server with the DBG extension Smile

IIRC in order to have DBG working properly, you need to have a project and local copy of exactly the same file that is run on the DBG side of the setup.

If he saves his "local file" through the network on another box that commits it to the SVN repository that updates the remote server, he cannot debug a script unless it has propagated to the end of this chain. Additionally, because the remote server is updated through the repository, it will merge all changes of concurrent developers what might lead to having a file on the remote server that is different from the local copy.
Site Admin

Matthias, it's all correct.
I meant the same by "probably he knows what he is doing" Smile
BTW, the question was if it's possible to run debugger Smile
so debugger will work even if he has different content of the files.
Although stepping will look strange.

hi guys

i'm running 3 tier setup because:

1. i found that creating files on windows and submitting them to svn results in having windows line breaks
and looks like the only way for svn to convert files to unix format is to name all file extensions (repeat for each project) to be converted which i
dont want to do to because having all files on mounted unix drive is as easy to do

2. grep (phped search cant match it yet)

3. minor but sometimes i have to work from home and having "local" copy available online is an additional bonus

though phped freezes time to time when i open files because it loads all other dependant files which does not work too fast over ftp (hard drive is mounted using ftp protocol)

so, mounted "local" copy is still just my copy, no other devs have access to it, it does not need a debug listener running,
when i commit changes to local copy svn updates test server and i do all debugging/testing on this test server.

BTW, do you have plans for phped toolbar for firefox?
Site Admin

Quote:
1. i found that creating files on windows and submitting them to svn results in having windows line breaks
and looks like the only way for svn to convert files to unix format is to name all file extensions (repeat for each project) to be converted which i
dont want to do to because having all files on mounted unix drive is as easy to do

Did you miss Tools->Settings->IDE settings, Default file format?
When set to Unix, all files will be saved with Unix linebreaks.

Quote:
grep (phped search cant match it yet)

Any details on this?

Quote:
BTW, do you have plans for phped toolbar for firefox?

yep
is remote debugging possible in my case?