NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Organizing a version control system

I'm just figuring out how to use Subversion but have a couple of questions about how people design workflow for using PHPed for Windows with any versioning system.

I have an SVN repository, but it appears to not be in the same structure as the existing web site I imported. I need to share my work with non-programming co-workers daily, so they can see changes and test. It appears I'll need to work on my machine, nightly commit, then export to the web directory for testing? Once I want to release, I export to the production server?

Thanks,
Hans
Site Admin

Although it's not directly related to PhpED product itself, I can share my own thoughts Smile
It's not that hard to automate nightly export on the server. Just install svn command line utilities there and run them at specified time using Cron. Don't forget to redirect output and error output to the logs and time after time take a look at them. Also don't forget to add ampersand in the end to have the job run asynchrnously.
If you run server under Windows, you may still use linux-alike utilities that come with Cygwin (see cygwin.com).
Regarding your commits, it's up to you and IMHO should not be automated Smile, you commit only changes that you think work good. Machine can't make such decisions easily Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Organizing a version control system