NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Can PhpED debug the java script...?

Hi There,

Question 1.

We are using NuSphere PhpED 4.0.1 Evaluation version.
We cannot stop in java script code functions.
Can this version of PhpED debug the java script?

Question 2.

We call a .php page from java script like -
javascript:open_popup('abc.php')

We cannot make PhpED 4.0.1 Evaluation version to stop anywhere in the php lines of abc.php.
Is this not supported or I am doing something wrong?

Regards
shwe
Site Admin

Quote:
Can this version of PhpED debug the java script?

No, PHPED 4 can not debug javascript.

Quote:
Is this not supported or I am doing something wrong?

Nothing wrong. Look at the following possible scenarios:
a) If the page where you call this javascript is php script too and it was just debugged too, DBGSESSID cookie should be there and should go back to the server and trigger debug session for abc.php. So nothing is required in this case.
b) If it is an HTML page, you may try scriplets like described there:http://forum.nusphere.com/tip-scriptlets-for-starting-stopping-debugger-session-t1231.html
c) Alternatively you may add DBGSESSID youself and call abc.php as "abc.php?DBGSESSID=1;d=1".
You may also check this http://forum.nusphere.com/howto-run-debug-session-t585.html post
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
works for me

Yes, I use DBGSESSID=1;d=1 in my Get calls and it does the job, just as advertized! Actually PhpED starts up, loads the script and stops at the beginning - it si great! Thansk
Veteran

My preference is for the DebugBreak() function, much cleaner.

ddmitrie, many of the questions people have are all explained in the FAQs, but we can't find those answers in the phped manual (help file). There is a FAQ section in the manual, but it is just a collection of simple questions.

If I search for DebugBreak in the manual, I get nothing found.
Veteran

We know phpED does not debug Javascript, but there's no doubt that this is something every phped user dream about.

The way I debug both at the same time is to open the php file in Firefox, open the Venkman debugger that comes with it. Reload the php file with DebugBreak() or setting DBGSESSID. Set the breakpoints in Venkman after the php was debugged in phped, and make any action in the browser that triggers that Venkman breakpoint. A little confusing I know, but works.

This post is just to suggest Nusphere to seriously consider this market opportunity developping a good javascript debugger (you are in the debuggers business, right?) , possibly integrated with phped. These days when AJAX is all around and javascript is getting a better status as a scripting language. May be some kind of integration with the Venkman debugger is already possible.

I would also like to say that the inclusion of a javascript debugger would be appreciated.
Can PhpED debug the java script...?