NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
A few little helpers

Hi, I've just downloaded the trial version and I am really impressed by this tool. It definetly beats the ZEND IDE! Especially in terms of the speed! There are just a few little things that came into my mind:

1.) More Text Editor Functionalities
It would be great to have more of the common text editor functions right within the IDE. This are functions like trimming lines, a shortcut to insert the current date (if you mark changes in the sourcecode you need a date of this change) and so on. I worked a lot with pspad which is actually no IDE, but has a lot of wonderful features. I know that these features are not essential for an IDE, but they can be handy from time to time and just putting the MOST ESSENTIAL of these functions in one sub menu would even keep the IDE interface "clean". And those functions are also not very complicated to implement as they do nothing than simple text manipulations. Here it would also be nice to have an ASCI Chart with the HTML Entities of each char as you need them often when you prepare the HTML output.

2.) Snippets
Snippets are great! You can use them in so many situations. The auto insert feature of PHPEd could do something similar, but this is for most uses much too complicated because you have to go to the settings menu, create a new one and so on. Just marking a code block -> context menu -> save as snippet would be a brilliant feature! Having a small hierarchical folder structure to manage them (similar to the mysql query browser tool) really increases your productivity because using the same code several times is the day to day business of programmers. A good and reliable code block is better than inventing the wheel a second time. Therefore such a feature would directly benefit the day to day work.

3.) Allow Explorer Drag&Drop
The PHPEd IDE is great because it combines so many things in one handy interface like the mysql Interface, a Terminal, FTP/SFTP and so on. But to really round this integration level up it would be great if the integrated explorer view would interact with the windows explorer on regular drag&drop interactions. e.g. if you drag a file from the explorer to an FTP Folder in your IDE i don't want this file to be opened in PHPEd -> Doing this gesture should upload the file to the desired folder! I guess this is intuitive for all windows user, isn't it? The same for downloading files to the local hard drive by dragging them from the explorer view to your local windows harddrive. Currently I can edit existing files easily, but what do I need to do when I have to upload a single GIF File, of a PDF File or something else? I need to open an extra FTP client just for uploading this single file - this is unintuitive when I have already a perfect connection for file transfers to my server right within PHPEd Wink That does not mean that there sould be a full grown FTP client with all these little gimicks, but allowing simple file up- and downloads directly to and from your harddrive would be fine.

But despite my comments I think that PHPEd is one of the best tools! I am sure that I will order a copy as soon as I have completed by evaluation!

keep up the good work!
dan

Any comments?
Site Admin

1) - in the short term plans
2) - in the long term plans
3) - you can do it right now, just open cled Explorer window (see View->Clone Window->Explorer) and drag-drop files between these two explorers Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Yeah, your're right. I haven't noticed the clone explorer view. That's nice! But probably you should add a "Upload file..." to the context menu in the file explorer or a button for cloning the explorer view directly in the explorer. I guess this would be more intuitive for users like me to find. But now I know about the Clone View function and will use it Wink

a) and b) sound's fine.
A few little helpers