NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
CodeAnalyzer possible?
Veteran

is in your plan to implement a code analyzer like Zend has?
it's very usefull to fine not used or not initialized variables, not reachable code and so on... it's an add on Smile
Site Admin

In reality, such analyzer appears to be suitable for trivial php code. For more or less complicated one (where it would be necessary the most) it gives 90% false alerts and misses 90% of other things it's supposed to warn about, like uninitialized array's elements and so forth. I'm not to blame the authors, it's pure PHP problem and while PHP is a loose typing lang nobody can analyze it properly at all, except running it.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

ok but some tasks should be easy, like not used functions and simple (not array) variables or not initialized ones; not?
maybe something that works accuraterly but not 100% complete is better than nothing
Site Admin

ok. a kind of simple analyzer can be created. No doubts.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Good Point. Zend IDE does trap you into thinking that if you run their code analyzer, all will be good.

That is not true by any means.

I'd better focus on the developer's needs rather than being trapped by the other IDEs. If such tool is not good enough, it does not mean that it could not be helpful at all. If not for you, then for somebody else. A kind of an independed code audit is a must in some cases, isn't it?
Veteran

right jtp51: a code analyzer doesn't solve all the problems, if code analyzer says that the code is ok it "could" not work properly for other logical errors. But if code analyzer in 1 second found 2,3 problems it can save many minutes to you in finding them, is not so jtp51?

most of the tools in and IDE aren't necessary, but they help the programmer. at the end "vi" (or notepad) is enough to write a php program Smile

black: Yes, a code analyzer in 1 second found 2,3 problems code analyzer *could* and in many cases save many minutes to you in finding them.

However, I guess a lot of people may get trapped into thinking that a code analyzer is a "catch-all". Which it is not.

Sometimes Zend's sales department gets a little overboard about their product features and how is can solve *EVERYTHING*.

But I am not here to bash Zend.

I am here to make a full eval. of NuSphere and see if I want to spend my own money on the switch to this IDE.

(I'm about 80% there....)

Thanks,

jpt51 I've choosed nusphere about 1 month ago; I compared it to Zend and I choosed the first one for 2 main reasons:
1) tech support: with nusphere you've a very good support, ddmitrie is everyday here in the forum and give good answers Smile. With zend I still have 2 trouble tickets and after a month they are still there asking me to escalate the ticket, then give more info (they've all the info) and so on.
2) is better for the debugging.

IMO the main disadvantage of phped is the price; i've bought a team 4 pack and its price is much higher then the pack of 4 licenses of zend and has 2 year less of "upgrade guarantee and support"

about the developers that think a code analyzer is a "catch-all" they're not real developers... good luck to their customers Smile

bye!
Site Admin

I don't know if it's good practice or not, but for example I'd definitely ask Borland to provide me _additional_ discount if I switch from Microsoft Smile
CodeAnalyzer possible?