NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Does phpED work with mySQL 4.1

Over at http://mysql.com 4.1 is their current release version. I have this installed and it runs okay with my mysqlmanager program, but when I try to connect with phpED's DB client I get the error message:

"1251 - client does not support authentication protocal requested by server; consider upgrading mySQL client."

Isn't phpED the client? I'm running version 3.3.3.
Site Admin

This is known problem and will be targeted with the next release of phped.

Quote:
Isn't phpED the client? I'm running version 3.3.3.

Actually the client is libmysql.dll located in phped directory.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Okay... Looks like I need to get ride my mySQL 4.1 and install 3.23. Just in case anybody else has this problem, 3.23 can be found here:

http://downloads.mysql.com/archives.php

Thanks Dmitrie!

That link for mySQL 3.23 isn't very good. If you click on the "MySQL Database server 3.23" link you get another page with two dozen choices. Every single iteration of 3.23 is listed. This is very confusing. Some say (30) files. Some say (44) files. All 3.23. I've downloaded two already. Neither of those were right.

You kow... the "NuSphere Tech Platform 3.4 for Windows" is wonderful. It installs Apache web server, PHP, and Perl. But NO mySQL. Considering that mySQL is the dominant database engine, I would expect at least a link to the most current version that works with PhpED. Maybe I just missed it.

Can anybody help. I can't be the only one who needs mySQL 3.23.

Okay... here's the correct link to the mySQL 3.23, for windows, installation in a zip file.

Looks like 2.23.58 was the last of the 3.23 series.

http://downloads.mysql.com/archives.php?p=mysql-3.23&o=-win

Just in case any is working on the same problem here's what to do next. After you install mySQL 3.23 it must be configured. The good news is there is a program in the \mysql\bin directory called winMySqlAdmin.exe.

An interesting side point here... this little winMySqlAdmin program is a classic. When it was written it opened up new avenues of accessibility, to may new mySQL programmers. It still has a very strong following. In fact it seems, for some reason, most hosting companies, and many providers, like NuSphere have yet to upgrade to 4.1. It's just like when windows 95 came out. That was such a radical departure from the old windows 3.5 technology it took years before it was universally trusted.

I'm new here, so I don't know what the story is on mySQL 4.1. I'd be interested in hearing any gripes if you've got any. Also... if you feel like talking... I suspect it has something to do with PostgreSQL. Now a newer open source project. Two camps. Also, if you think PostgreSQL is a better long term solution, I ask you why. Like I said, I'm new here.

Well... you guys are sure a talkative bunch.

Okay... I've got all the development pieces working together now. NOT mySQL 3.23. I decided to go with PostgreSQL. It works, plus it looks like it has MANY more options... and the general feeling of many developers seems to be this is the new standard. (This is not the only board I read.)

That's it for this thread... my friends... time to move on the the next step.
Site Admin

If you need to make a decistion what SQL database to go with, please try google or other sites and locate appropriate source for the information.
One (quite out of date) is there
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3
Also you may consider the following facts:
-Postgres SQL language is much closer to ANSI SQL standards
-mySQL 4.1 still misses VIEWs
-mySQL does not support user-extensible types

Also should be said, for the best performance Postgresql should be configured according to the system you run the server on.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I'm getting the same error 1251.

When can I expect to see the MySQL client working ?!? MySQL integration for me is one of the biggest reasons for using this IDE and it doesn't work! BAH!

Any solutions how this problem can be overcome?
Site Admin

I thought description for 1251 is self-explanatory:
"1251 - client does not support authentication protocal requested by server; consider upgrading mySQL client."
The mySQL client mentioned is libmysql.dll which you may want to replce with one that comes with mySQL 4.1.
I'm sorry that I can't do it for you.

ddmitrie wrote:
I thought description for 1251 is self-explanatory:
The mySQL client mentioned is libmysql.dll which you may want to replce with one that comes with mySQL 4.1.
I'm sorry that I can't do it for you.

Thanks. I saw this problem discussed on another forum and and someone said that there's very little one can do except wait for a fix. Stupid of me to take that for an answer. I got it working and the fix was very easy.

I don't speak native english so I quess I just missed the point in the error description.

Anyway everything is fine now. Thanks for your reply.
Site Admin

Please note, replacing mysql DLL will work if phped is of version 3.3.3 (or higher). We've implemented some fixes to get it working transparently with both 3.23 and 4.x interfaces.
Quote:
discussed on another forum and and someone said that there's very little one can do except wait for a fix

You may consider we've done such fix Smile
Does phpED work with mySQL 4.1