NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
SFTP Not Working Properly in v4 *solved*

I purchased a copy of v4 on Monday, and have had good luck with it so far, however there is one bug I am running into. The SFTP and SSH seems to be missing options. While trying to connect to SFTP and SSH on one of my server I can not get a response (and unfortunately can not find any detailed error messages).

I have tried all of the different SSH authentication methods with no luck. I can get Putty and WinSCP to connect to the server without any trouble. Both programs use keyboard-interactive login.

The SFTP error message is "Permission Denied. Failed to connect to server"

The SSH error message is "Permission Denied". The terminal window shows "*** Connection has been closed *** Connection Failed."

Last edited by willbond on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure it works good as I am as many other people around me are using this feature on everyday basis now.
Most probably you forgot to specify username in the account settings.
You have to specify it if it differs from the username you're logged in in your client computer.
Anyway, please check the remote daemon's logs first to make sure what's going wrong on the server side.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Yes, I do have a username and password entered, and they are correct.

The server I am trying to connect to requires "keyboard interactive/pam" login type. I have selected this option in the SSH options for PHPed. /var/log/messages, however, show the following:

Request from WinSCP (with attempt keyboard interactive login checked):

Aug 24 12:34:44 localhost sshd[18418]: Connection from ::ffff:---.--.---.121 port 1869
Aug 24 12:34:45 localhost sshd[18418]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for ------ from ::ffff:---.--.---.121 port 1869 ssh2
Aug 24 12:34:45 localhost sshd(pam_unix)[18421]: session opened for user ------ by (uid=0)
Aug 24 12:34:45 localhost sshd[18421]: subsystem request for sftp

Request from PHPed (with keyboard interactive checked under SSH options):

Aug 24 12:35:51 localhost sshd[18431]: Connection from ::ffff:---.-.---.121 port 1874
Aug 24 12:35:52 localhost sshd[18433]: Connection from ::ffff:---.--.---.121 port 1875
Aug 24 12:35:53 localhost sshd[18435]: Connection from ::ffff:---.--.---.121 port 1876

I know nothing of the SSH protocol, but it seems as though PHPed is not attempting some standard login request type. Please note the exact same thing occurs when I try to SSH into the box using the PHPed Terminal.
Site Admin

no. Please run sshd with -ddd option. It dumps much more info.
If you don't want to publish it for security reasons, you may send it to support AT nusphere DOT com.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Do you use a kind of SecurID device?

No, I don't. I am not even sure what it is.

Same here, cannot connect to server with sftp, resulting in the same message as the op wrotes...

Marcus
View user's profileFind all posts by MarcusSchwarzSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Site Admin

please submit your logs to NuSphere support.

thanks.

The only lines I can read from the auth.log are the following:

]Edit[
Confused
Sorry, copied wrong line...
]Edit[

I don't have access to the servers internals, I will ask the admin for help for that "sshd -Dddde" thingy.

marcus
View user's profileFind all posts by MarcusSchwarzSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number

I had exactly the same problem. The Solution:

In "sshd_config" make sure that "PasswordAuthentication" is set to "yes"

HTH,
Alex

great, works now.

but my admin is not happy with that config Confused
Site Admin

why whould he?
If you prefer Public Key authentication you may use it w/o problems. In this case you have to put public key into ~/.ssh/ directory. Read sshd manuals for further details.
SFTP Not Working Properly in v4 *solved*