NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
ZoneAlarm & phpEd
Veteran

Why should phpEd try to access Internet? No matter if I allow or not, the debugger runs ok. What is this for? I think a *very* useful reason would be an auto ckeck for new updates, but afaik there is no such feature in phpEd. The DNS server of my connection is well configured and operational.

Site Admin

As you might notice, it's your DNS server shown.

Normally DNS is used to resolve host names to IP addresses.
For example if you specified a hostname in the account settings for an FTP account, it should be resolved first to IP address Smile
There is no known ways to connect to a host by its name Smile Smile
When for PhpED runs Win32 API function gethostbyname() to resolve hostname to IP address, this function explicitly runs query to the DNS like that you captured. So it is completely FALSE alarm Smile

REGARDING your possible concerns, there is NO spyware in PhpED product.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

What got my attention was that the DNS server configured in my lan settings is totally different from that phpEd tried to access, and the DNS ip phpEd access is not the same everytime I get these warnings . Any test tracing route to any external ip shows correctly the ip of my configured dns server.

Anyway, I was just curious about that. Never concerned of spyware in it Smile
Site Admin

Call your network administrator and ask him to help with finding where 63.218.23.135 might come from.
At least try
ipconfig /all | grep "63.218.23.135"
first
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

HoTShoT wrote:
What got my attention was that the DNS server configured in my lan settings is totally different from that phpEd tried to access, and the DNS ip phpEd access is not the same everytime I get these warnings . Any test tracing route to any external ip shows correctly the ip of my configured dns server.

If the WHP you're uploading your code to is "Beyond The Network America, Inc." (btnaccess.com) then chances are it's just a lookup for the site IP. Still, it's a bit weird that PhpED is trying to resolve using a server other than the ones provided by your ISP; the previous suggestion re: contacting your network admin is probably not such a bad idea, especially if it turns up you don't have any business with btnaccess.com.
Site Admin

To make the problem as clearer as possible, here is my statement: PhpED has no routines to resolve any addresses, it does NOT run any requests to DNS in particular. In order to resolve a given address (hostname) it calls Win32 API (see my post above) for this name and if there is any delegating DNS it will be inquiried by chain.
Please check your network configuration and your DNS configuration TOO.
PhpED has nothing to do with it.
ZoneAlarm & phpEd