NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Your Software Licence

Is anyone distributing licences for their own software (distributed with PhpDock)? If so, how did you create the licence itself?

I'm looking for some generic boilerplate licence templates in order to put a licence together. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Site Admin

I'm afraid, nobody will tell you, unless the license is based on open source tools and on strong cryptography

I don't mean the actual licensing process, but the licensing text that people use e.g. the end user license agreement.

Do you know the licence text that comes with every piece of commerical software, the text that says in legal speak what you can and can't do with the software, how many users are allowed to use it, what warranties are supplied, etc.? This is the software license I'm referring to.

For example, http://www.clickdocs.co.uk/software-licence.htm.

I'm not referring to how one might control, limit or restrict how a piece of software is used. I'm referring to the legal document that tells the end user how (s)he may use the software. If they choose to use it in a different manner then that's another issue that I'm not wanting to discuss in this thread.

Does anyone understand what I mean?
Site Admin

probably, you can find license.txt in phpdock's directory and it's what you "agreed with" when installed phpdock, right?
As of the end-user restrictions, I think you'd contact sales dept. for clarifications.

Last edited by dmitri on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Yes, it's the text license I'm referring to, but I'm not referring to the PhpDock license. I'm asking other users of PhpDock how they draw up their own software licenses for their own software that's distributed on a PhpDock platform.

Let's say I have an application I wish to distribute. Forget about PhpDock for a moment, just to keep things simpler. If I wanted a license document drawn up for my application, what options do I have apart from hiring a lawyer at great expense to draw one up?

Someone here must have come across this before now?

The link I provided above is just one example of one possible source. I'm wondering how other people might approach this subject.
Site Admin

aha!
people who could not affort lawyer (or lawer), google for license text and adapt it for their needs. There is no law specifying what must be and what must never be in the license text and virually any license can be put in issue, but nevertheless it works in most cases.

We got there in the end! Smile
Your Software Licence