NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
x64 Linux and Windows with Php Express

I'm running x64 on all my servers; using Linux Fedora 8 x64 and Windows 2003 and 2008 Server x64 (Running x64 PHP under IIS); in the download package for PhpExpress I see files for x86; which I assume are 32 bit and not 64 bit; I would assume you would make a 32 and 64 folder. My question do you have x64 version.
Site Admin

That's correct, there are only 32bit modules.
Feel free to check the other posts in this forum to see info related to 64bit modules.

I searched for other 64 bit questions before asking; didn't find anything relative; is there something I missed?
Do you have any plans to release a 64 bit version soon?
It seems to me that its just the way its compiled; I can't image what code changes would be needed.
I've been a computer programmer since the late 70's; it seemed that when things changed from 8 bit to 16; people jumped on it; from 16 to 32 they jumped a little slower; from 32 to 64 they got to old to jump anymore; go figure; but 64 isn't any harder; I just don't get it.
Can you tell me if there is a way to get this to work under a 64 bit.
Site Admin

aha.
just the first three on the first page:
64bit-binaries-availability-t2964.html
v1-4-64-bit-support-on-linux-t3349.html
phpexpress-1-4-doesnt-work-on-gentoo-64bit-t4030.html

regarding the other ideas, below are some facts:
-64bit platforms are slightly slower than 32bit and particularly apache+php combination is slower by 2-5% on the exactly same hardware and this number grows fast with increasing load because of far more memory footprint of 64bit applications, while memory bandwidth is still the same.
-64bit is not officially supported because php has known bugs that will lead to crashes if you compile it for 64bit target (see this post as an example: http://news.php.net/php.internals/36092 illustrating the problem)
-the only benefit that comes with 64bit is a bigger address space (more addressable memory)

I'm running 16 GB RAM on a Quad Intel Xeon 5450; Windows 32bit will not run with that much memory last time I tried it; but I don't host on Windows; IIS 7 chocks; and IIS 6 seems to work ok; apache works fine; but I still only use them for development due to the fact I can't find very good Linux tools. In 64 bit; the applications run much faster; web pages are notably faster; although I don't have any bench marks; I have 18 web sites on one server; when people started to complain about load times; I switch to x64; no one has complained since; my Linux machines never crash; my PHP is compiled in 64 bit mode also and I never have any problems. I'm not saying I don't believe others are not; it took me some time to get my machines setup just right; its the hardware for the most part and some software not playing nice; I tired many flavors of Linux and came back to Fedora 8; 9 is due out soon and should be even better. I'm bullish on x64; a lot of people hear about other peoples problems with it (and understandably) and never try it themselves; so much hardware and software out there; but if you find a combination that works your opinion will change. I've heard all these arguments with 32 bit applications when they first came out also; but look were we are today. I've heard arguments about x64 being slower but its not true; at least not with the right equipment.

I went ahead and Purchased Nu-Coder; I have faith that all of this will work its way out.
Site Admin

Quote:
In 64 bit; the applications run much faster;

It's clear that with such additional memory of 14GB, your host caches disks much better and therefore works smoother.

Regarding 64bit php, it still not considered stable. Just a friendly advice: pay an additional attention to the logs, in particular httpd error_log and don't forget to enable coredumps for Apache to have something to check after it's crashed. As of the most recent php (v5.2.5), there are still non-fixed fatal errors under 64bit OSes. They are pretty simple to reproduce. In worst cases, this may lead to the site compromise.