NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Workspace icons to show read status

It would be *really* useful if the folder and file icons in the Workspace (and perhaps even Explorer) windows could show some kind of marker (a little red dot?) when the file is set to READ ONLY. At the moment we use Perforce for source control, so I have to have the P4Win application open alongside PhpED, and just try to remember which files are locked or not. If the icon could show the status of the file it would make life a lot easier, and I suspect for other non-CVS SCM users too.

Cheers,

Rich
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website

It seems to me that in version 5.0 that they already implemented this. I have noticed that there different icons depending on the state (See image)

Its a great product!

-r

Also, if you hold down the ctrl button and right click on the file you will get the shell menu directly and it is easy to click the properties option and change the status.

-r

rodericksimpson wrote:
It seems to me that in version 5.0 that they already implemented this. I have noticed that there different icons depending on the state (See image)

Doesn't work here. Running 5.0 on Vista 32 bit. I have a server on the local LAN which all the files are stored on, which is attached as a mapped drive in Vista (the same drive letter each time I boot).

I don't need to change the file state (via the shell menu), I use Perforce to do that, I just need to see which files are locked or not. It would appear from your screen shot that it *almost* works, just not across a mapped drive. Or it could be a Vista issue, I'll run a test on a true 'local' file and see.

It's either a Vista issue, or the icons don't work across mapped drives.

Cheers,

Rich
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website

I have noticed that if I change the status (or it gets changed by version control), that you need to right-click on the folder and choose "refresh".

Dmitri,

Can this be something that is added? A check to see if a file's state has changed? That may be more of a performance hit than it is worth.

Thank you,

-r

I've noticed that it seems to poll the files automatically for a change in status. For example if a file is locked (set to 'read only') then PhpED will play it's "beep" sound if you try to edit it. If I then check it out for edit in Perforce, PhpED will continue to 'beep' at me for around 5 seconds or so, and then it just suddenly allows editing. In short, I'm almost certain it is automatically polling the open files already for a change in state.

Having the workspace list refresh could be handy, except it can take quite a long time to build the workspace list on some of my larger projects, so I'd not want it to automatically happen - at the moment I prefer the ability to right-click and refresh a specific folder. If the whole workspace (or even just a whole project) refreshed every X mins, it'd get very annoying for me Smile

hmm.. I gues I don't understand what the problem is then. Once it is updated to writeable, are the icons not updated?

-r

The problem is that the icons do not change at all, ever, to anything else.
Site Admin

If you see different icons for Readonly (or writable) files, it means that it's one of the Windows Shell extensions does this for you. PhpED only reflects this. A clear indication that it's Windows Shell ext, is that the same icons changes are visible in the Windows Explorer.

This functionality in PhpEd seems broken in Vista.

I have different icons depending on the state, this is caused by TortoiseSVN.

On XP in PhpEd these icons showed in the tree view, however once upgrading to Vista only the default file/folder icons are showing now.

I can go in and change the icon manually of a file and it shows in PhpEd but these overlays from TortoiseSVN do not show any longer since moving to Vista.

cpriest wrote:
On XP in PhpEd these icons showed in the tree view, however once upgrading to Vista only the default file/folder icons are showing now.

I'm not seeing the icons on XP, so not sure what's going on with that here.

Would be nice to have an indicator that show's the writeable status, esp. when trying to type. Maybe a window where you can choose to unlock the file?

Cameron

Is anyone else getting anything other than the normal Vista icons in PhpEd?
Workspace icons to show read status