NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Is there something like a Workset bar available? Using the menu to switch between Worksets is not very useful. Isn't there any faster way available?

PS: Just found the Workset icon in the toolbar. I really would prefer multiline open file tabs or even better: open file tabs at the left. But maybe a Workset bar would also help. But switching between Workset should work faster (without animation).

See drop down in the worspace and File->Workset menu.
As of animation, it takes only 0.3sec. Removing it won't change anything in your workflow.

In PhpED it's Windows ->Workset.
But the fastest way is the Workset Icon in the toolbar.

A real benefit even over other IDEs would be a workset tab bar similar to the open file tab bar and above it.

It may be that the animation is only 0.3 seconds but on my system (i7 @3,4 GHZ, 16 GB RAM) before the animation starts the part which gets changed is blank for a while such that it lasts 2 seconds all together.

As long as there is only a menu/icon/drop down to switch between worksets it's not that big deal. But with a bar where you can switch with the click of one button it would be cool if this works faster.

There is a post very similar to this one titled "open file tabs" (openned in november 2006) for multiple rows but not for organisation purpose like you are asking here.

I could see myself using this version more than the other one. Having a row for most files and another exclusively for views would be useful. I would see it as a button to "add a tab bar" and I would move the file in the right tab bar myself just like moving it left and right that we can do now (I would not expect the software to know in which tab bar it should open a file).

As for workset, I cannot use them since I work mostly on the FTP directly and workset do no reopen remote files (which is very anoying). I would really love to be able to use them.
Site Admin

noox wrote:
It may be that the animation is only 0.3 seconds but on my system (i7 @3,4 GHZ, 16 GB RAM) before the animation starts the part which gets changed is blank for a while such that it lasts 2 seconds all together.

Some certain time is needed to close old files, load new ones, and load all the workset -related settings. In some cases it may take 2seconds or even more. Definately animation does not slow down anything, but makes it clear that the list of files is updated.

I tried it out and save created a new workset. I had about 5 tabs open. I then tried switching back to the default workset (no files open) and that worked, but went I returned to my new workset only one open file tab showed.

Also, if while in a workset I close tabs and open others, is it supposed to dynamically track this so when ever I come back to it I will see it exactly as I had left it?

This would be handy as it could tie in with my local git branches (could name workspace same as branch).

Thanks,
Nick
View user's profileFind all posts by nickweaversSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Site Admin

Nick, if you can reproduce the problem with missed/lost tabs, please submit report to our support.
As of branches in git, I'm not sure if it's good idea. Workset is a sort of environment or saved context. Say you have a problem and you're working on it. Then you're interrupted with another problem in the same project (or the same workspace) and it has higher priority. Now you need different files, different breakpoints, different bookmarks, different watches etc, but... you want to return back to the 1st problem with its files, breakpoints, bookmarks, watches as soon as the 2nd is resolved. That's what Worksets are for.

Thanks Dmitri, I just created a new workset in my current project which has 8 files opened in tabs, switched to default workset and back again and it worked fine this time.

Is the workset dynamic in that while I'm in it, and changes (tabs closed while new ones opened) are saved ie the workset is like a "cursor"?
View user's profileFind all posts by nickweaversSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger

Of course I should have just tried it, and the answer appears to be yes Smile
Site Admin

it saves current workset at the time when you switch to another or when you quit the workspace