NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Working on remote server

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am now evaluating PhpED. I have a question about the way we use PhpED. I have been using Zend Studio for a while and want to try if I will like PhpED more. With Zend Studio, I usually working right on the remote server and don't have a local copy of the source code. I have been playing around with PhpED for only few hours but I could not see that I can do that. Is that correct? If it is incorrect and in fact I can do that... can someone please tell me how. Thank you.
Guru master

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but I have the project folder on my remote testserver mounted as a drive letter on my development machine. I do all my editing via that drive over the network. Result is what you are asking but in a slightly different way. I think phped always assumes you have a "local" version of the files.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Actually, it is quite easy to do what you are wanting. In the Tools menu, go to Accounts. Set up your remote server as a new FTP, SFTP or WebDav account. Once you've entered in your information and clicked OK, that account will now be listed in the Explorer. If you dont see the Explorer, go to the View menu, Tabs, Explorer. When you open a file on your S/FTP or WebDav account, PhpEd will download a cached copy. Then, once you save it, PhpEd will automatically upload the changes.

The only "problem" with doing it this way is that PhpEd isnt able to "know" all the possible references (includes/requires) you might have in the file you are editing, whereas if you are working in a Project, PhpEd knows where all the files are and can pull in variables, functions, classes, etc.

Personally, I prefer to set up everything as a project and do the correct mapping to my remote server. That way, PhpEd can pull in all the information as I'm working on any of the files, and I'm still able to easily upload changes to the remote server. AND, I then also have both a local copy and a remote copy of my files in case something happens either to the remote versions or the local versions.

Blizz and gilzow, thank you for your replies. I guess it is now confirmed that I can't do exactly the way I used to do on Zend Studio. I know there is a workaround... so I guess I will continue to use PhpED... see if eventually I like it.
Working on remote server