NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
windows7 x64 - context help doesn't work

Hello 2 all,

before I've used phped on windows xp sp3, when I pressed F1 key on any function I got new help tab with manual about this function. Now there is no effect when I press f1 (I can only hear windows system sound)

what's the problem?

Also when I choose right-click menu point "find in documentation" in tab "Functions", there is no effect too.

thank's for help.
Guru master

I don't use PhpED on Windows 7, but I'm guessing the PhpED help is in the old format, which won't work with Windows 7.

Try installing WinHlp32.exe for Windows 7, using the official Microsoft download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=258aa5ec-e3d9-4228-8844-008e02b32a2c&displaylang=en

Please bear in mind that old Windows help files were considered insecure in some respects. If you copy a .hlp file to your computer, you may have to unblock it before it can be used and you might not be able to open .hlp files that are not stored locally; you will have to copy them to a local folder first.

thanks for answer.

But in phped help is in new format (.chm, not .hlp). Seperatly I can open these help files.
I installed what yo? said, but nothing changed Sad

Any more ideas..?
Guru master

Sorry. I did say it was just a guess. Smile

Another guess is that because it is x64 Windows, that means PhpED is probably installed in the Program Files (x86) folder. Is it possible that PhpED still looks for the help files in the Program Files folder?

Surely someone out there has PhpED installed on x64 Windows and can say if their help works?

I use PhpED on Windows Server 2003, but I'll install a copy on Windows 7 later tonight and see what happens.
Guru master

I just did an install of PhpED 5.9.5 (build 5989) on Windows 7 x64 and the help works fine.

If I click on an invalid keyword and press F1 then I get a beep, but on a valid keyword the help is displayed.

My personal preference is for help to be displayed in an external browser. In the IDE > Help settings, can you see the Attached Manuals ticked (should be around 14 of them) and if you tick Show help in external browser does it work any differently?
resolved

Thank's a lot! Smile

It helped (I added help files manually, this field was empty - wasn't any attached manual)
Same problem here Win9/PhpED 9.0

late but maybe someone can be helped:
- Goto -> Tools|Settings|IDE|Help
- Select "PHP Manual"
- Delete "PHP Manual"
- Press "Add" goto directory (eg C:\Program Files (x86)\nusphere\phped\help) and select "php_manual_en.chm" and open
- PhpED does some magic and now it should work

greetings
cmes
Site Admin

You don't have to remove or re-add anything here.
If you did some modifications and want to return back to defaults, just press [Reset] button below.

alekseyka, that's too unlear and non-obvious logic. It's enough that current logic is clearer and raises less questions. I'm sorry that you have to learn new one now.