NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Why was my post deleted?

I had a thread going here regarding a smart-sync problem that appears to have been deleted. Why are posts deleted from this forum? It doesn't portray a good image as it makes it look like only positive posts are kept, and as soon as a post contains anything beyond that it gets deleted.

I was asking for assistance from other users to help test and troubleshoot this issue in build 9063.

BTW: I reviewed the forum rules and found the following:

8. It is very important to keep some measure of good manners. ... Please be polite. People there are just people and even if you're sure we are not as good as you are, nevertheless be polite or keep yourself from posting here.
This is a moderated forum and all offensive, promotional, non-friendly or spammed posts will be removed.

I should mention that I have always used good manners and have never been offensive.
Site Admin

Discussion went into completely wrong direction. Instead of discussing the problem and details, it turned into discussing whether screenshots are necessary or not and whether I got a sleep or not. It is not acceptable here, sorry.
Serge told me that you finally sent the requested screenshots to him, and guess what? they appeared to be highly related to the problem.

Fair enough. However the history of the post is worthy for others to reference against. As well I was asking the community for help from others who may be experiencing the same issue. It's gone now though.

Anyways, i did get a reply back via email requesting more information. I still feel the wrong problem is being chased here, because the issue has nothing to do with any differences between remote and local at the moment. I replied to the email with a question though as he asked me to provide another 'screenshot' showing file timestamps and sizing within the Explorer inside phped. I can't figure out how to display this info. within the Explorer pane though.

Can you clarify with him that he is investigating the Smart-sync failing to execute when using an SFTP connection? (the standard FTP connection does in fact work) And not whether or not file/folders are actually sync'd. Once this issue is resolved, then I can start looking into whether or not the correct files/folders are sync'd in the process.
Site Admin

Neither SFTP as a protocol nor its client implemention in phped has anything to do with this problem. You may have different settings in corresponding accounts and this may explain why they work differently for you. Instead of comparing FTP against SFTP, I'd prefer to know why SFTP works well according to your logs while what you get is not something you expected to get.

With one of the screenshots we found something interesting and got reaction we didn't see before -- seems this explains why nobody else (except your friend and you) experienced the problem. Further screenshots may complete the picture. That's it. I'd also ask for screenshot of project settings on Publishing page too.

BTW you don't have to make them blind. We never abused anybody and aren't going to do. All the info in the tickets is rotated among 3-4 people and won't go anywhere else.

Hi Dmitri,

You are correct in that SFTP works to connect to the remote, and the Smart Upload / Smart Download functions work, it is just when Smart-sync itself is used is when it immediately halts and says there is nothing to do when I know there should be files/folders to sync.

I sent another reply back on that email. Are you able to open that email and let me know regarding the screenshare. I think if we did this it would get us to a resolution much quicker because I could demonstrate the issue first hand.

Version 10. I see it is now released so i thought I would download and install it. I just discovered something interesting that i need to explore more tommorow morning though.

Upon trying the smart-sync in version 10 I found it did the same thing again as what I've been complaining about. As a test, I thought I would define a brand new project with the exact same settings as the other projects I have from build 9055. The newly created project seems to have worked this time. This leads me to believe a project created within build 9055 that carries forward to the newest build 9063, and now v10 are problematic (maybe something has changed in the data defining the project itself).

I will test this theory further tommorow morning and recreate some more projects in the v10 i just installed and hope for the best. Maybe you have been right all along in saying it works, but I was also right all along saying it's broken because I was using previously created projects with a new build installed overtop the old.

Whew! Maybe I'll finally be going away permenantly on this issue if this turns out to be it.

After further experimentation here, I think i may have narrowed it down more. I tried defining the project by first completely deleting all traces of the project, then following the steps to create a new one. This didn't make a difference, and the smart sync still failed to execute (scan).

What i did notice though, is that if I right-click on the actual project name in the workspace, and go to Publishing->Smart Sync, it will not operate properly and fails to scan. However, if I right-click on a subfolder within the project and do the smart-sync it will then perform the scan as expected. My daily workflow always has me right-clicking on the project and running smart-sync (when i switch branches in git), so I need this ability to continue to work. It would be way too time consuming to run smart-sync on each individual sub-folder within the project.

I'm hoping this helps track down the issue. But at least I can continuously reproduce it now, and i do have a work around using the smart-sync on sub-folders, so i can continue using v10.

I just downloaded and installed build 10025 hoping this was it and smart-sync will finally be resolved. But no luck.

As I mentioned before it does work if smart-sync is run on a sub-folder, but not if i try to run it on the parent project itself at the top of the Workspace window.

Is anyone else running into this problem?

Just installed the latest build 10029, i still see that the smart-sync isnt working when I right-click on the project itself (not any of the sub-folders). Can someone else please try this procedure and let me know your results:

1) right-click on the project (top of the tree in the workspace view) -> Publishing -> smart-sync. Does it run the complete scan of local vs. remote?

2) right-click on the first sub-folder under the project (httpdocs for example) -> Publishing -> smart-sync. Does it run the complete scan this time?

Am I wrong to conclude that smart-sync should also be able to run directly off the top of the project and it would be smart enough to traverse the directories within the project?

Please let me know your results.
Why was my post deleted?