NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
When doing REMOTE Project, what is $(TMP)

I have a remote web server that I am using to connect through and handle my files. However I am getting in the Transfer tab basically every single file being "downloaded" to a $(TMP) location. Where is this location supposed to exist?
I've searched on my remote server and there's nothing there.
I've searched locally in my AppData for my user account and don't see these files.
I've searched on my C:\ drive and these files don't exist there either.

If I'm doing everything on a remote server, why do I have to download every single file? Should I have setup my projects to be TUNNEL instead of via SSH maybe? I don't want any of my files local, I want everything to be done on the remote server. I can do this with VSCode just fine, however I'm looking to go back to NuSphere since I'm more comfortable with it and the shortcuts.

I have found this solution kindly take a look.

Quote:
If you are working on a remote server and do not want to download any files locally, you can use a tool like SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) or FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to access and edit the files on the remote server directly.

Using a Tunnel instead of SSH may be an option, but it depends on your specific use case and requirements. SSH Tunnel allows you to forward a local port to a remote server, which allows you to access a service on the remote server as if it were running on your local machine. This can be useful if you want to use a local application to connect to a service running on the remote server.

Another option is using a Remote Development extension in Nusphere, this extension allows you to work with files on a remote server as if they were local. You can edit files, run commands, and debug your code all without leaving the comfort of your local development environment.

You can also use terminal of Nusphere to connect to remote server using SSH (Secure Shell) and use 'nano' or 'vi' or any other text editor to edit files on the remote server directly.

Ultimately, the best approach for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. You may want to try out a few different options to see which one works best for you.
Re: When doing REMOTE Project, what is $(TMP)

dberman wrote:
I have a remote web server that I am using to connect through and handle my files. However I am getting in the Transfer tab basically every single file being "downloaded" to a $(TMP) location. Where is this location supposed to exist?
I've searched on my remote server and there's nothing there.
I've searched locally in my AppData for my user account and don't see these files.
I've searched on my C:\ drive and these files don't exist there either.

If I'm doing everything on a remote server, why do I have to download every single file? Should I have setup my projects to be TUNNEL instead of via SSH maybe? I don't want any of my files local, I want everything to be done on the remote server. I can do this with VSCode just fine, however I'm looking to go back to NuSphere since I'm more comfortable with it and the shortcuts.

You can find the location of the $(TMP) variable on your remote server by running the command echo $(TMP) in the terminal or command prompt. This will display the path of the temporary files directory on the remote server.

Alternatively, you can check the value of the TMP variable in the remote server by running the command echo $TMP or printenv TMP

You can also check the location of the temporary files directory by checking the contents of the /etc/environment file on your remote server, which typically contains system-wide environment variables, including the TMP variable.

You can use a terminal application like putty or ssh to connect to the remote server and then run the command on the remote server.

Please note that the location of the temporary files directory may vary depending on the specific operating system and configuration of the remote server.
Site Admin

$(TMP) is located on local machine. If you open a remote file, it's physical copy is on local disk in temporary directory and the file name is, of course, temporary too.