NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
What's up with the file open dialog in 5.x?

I love PhpED, but the file open dialog is terrible. It appears that it's a custom one made with some shell components in Delphi.
It would be much nicer to at least have the option of using the standard file open dialog.
The current one does not even have a shortcut to get the the My Documents directory!

Please consider changing this or giving the option to change the dialogs.

If the option is already their and I missed it please let me know Smile

Thanks,

Tony

Look for the 'star' icon in the dialog box - that's where you can add/edit your favourites.
Site Admin

With our "custom" dialog you can open files from FTP, SFTP and WebDAV accounts. Will "Delphi standard" dialog let you do so? Will it let you choose file charset?

I like it but a link to My Documents would still be nice.
Site Admin

why not to add Favorites as suggested? Smile

Quote:
why not to add Favorites as suggested?

I have it set up that was at the moment. That is what I meant when I say I like it. In hindsight I should have been more specific.

It thought it would be nice to have the common paths already there so I don't have to redo it after reinstalling, changing users or updating to a new version.

hmm.. that is one bloody small little feature you're using there to weigh the enormous advantage of the custom dialogue window with the standard one. It only takes you a couple of seconds to set up favourites and on top of that you can open files straight from ftp. If only other developers used functional dialogue windows like that
Veteran

Spaceman wrote:
If only other developers used functional dialogue windows like that

MS should provide hooks to easily expand the standard dialogs' functions.

Actually, though, not being an entrenched Win user, I didn't even notice they were non-standard. The bit about them that bugs me is that they aren't very stateful. For example, they always come up at the same--relatively small--size and in the same location, rather than how I last adjusted them. I also don't like how when you double-click the first part of the default filename, it selects the period, making more work editing the name but not the extension. And so on... it's all the little things that bug me.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
What's up with the file open dialog in 5.x?