NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
What is the search limit on this forum?

I'm a heavy user of "Search" but man .. I'm just unable to constantly search. I keep getting blocked by Google saying my IP is making a lot of requests and stops my request.

Yes, I'm making a lot of searches--probably about 2-3 a minute or so. But that's because I'm honestly trying to locate answers to questions, instead of posting new threads.
Site Admin

Welcome to the world driven by Google.
BTW, why did you post the issue here? Do you think we're somehow associated with Google?

dmitri wrote:
Welcome to the world driven by Google.
BTW, why did you post the issue here? Do you think we're somehow associated with Google?

Your search is apparently tied into the Google Search API. On the top of your forums there's a search box. Type something, search. Immediately following that result, search again. Then you're given a Google Search limit block. Full Google URL.

The Error message:
Quote:
We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Happens quite frequently for me. There seems to be an extremely low limit on searches. It could actually be Google API kicking back your calls, due to number of visitors. However, I don't think that's the case since I don't ever get this after the first search -- just second or third.
Site Admin

guice wrote:
Your search is apparently tied into the Google Search API

nope.
see the sources (html):
<!-- Search Google -->
<table width=100%><tr><td>
<span class="nav"><FORM method=GET action=http://www.google.com/custom style="display: inline;">
<TABLE align=right bgcolor=#FFFFFF cellspacing=0 border=0><tr>
<td class="nav navform" align="right" valign="middle">
<INPUT TYPE=text name=q size=31 maxlength=255 class="post" value="abc">
<INPUT type=submit name=sa VALUE="Search" class="mainoption">
<INPUT type=hidden name=cof VALUE="S:http://support.nusphere.com;AH:left;LH:118;L:http://www.nusphere.com/media/logos/logo_221x118.gif;LW:221;AWFID:ec86ee8647ead74b;">
<input type=hidden name=domains value="support.nusphere.com;www.nusphere.com"><input type=radio name=sitesearch value="support.nusphere.com" checked>support<input type=radio name=sitesearch value="www.nusphere.com">www
</td></tr></TABLE>
</FORM></span></td></tr></table>
<!-- Search Google -->

this is how Google recommended to integrate its search capabilities (~ 5-6 years ago)

I see what's going on.

So, the search on the main forums points to search.php. The search box on the resulting page points to Google. And for some reason, Google's search is blocking my request.... That form post to google is stopped. Guess it doesn't like the USVI incoming addresses.
Site Admin

hmm, Smile USVI Smile
no, I don't think they don't like only USVI. Looks like they don't like whole the world and in partciular they don't like themselves because the html was suggested by them. I didn't bother even look into the code. Now I see it does not work for me too returning exactly the same error, so...

BTW, whole the idea behind using google for searching the forum is clear. Forum own search is quite trivial and more than often returns irrelevant pages. So if the needle is not found in the firtst round, it makes sense to try google.
Since it does not work anymore -- you may want to try google directly, for example type "the search term site:forum.nusphere.com" (without quotes).

Oh, I completely agree using Google search makes sense. I'm not discounting that part at all. I'm just staying it's not working. Very Happy I've implemented Google Search on several sites I've ran in the past, too. The method you're using is an old < '05 version. These days Google advocates using their JS API.

No matter then. I was just a bit a annoying I would do a search, but then get that error when I tried again. I saw the added radio buttons, but didn't think anything of it that that form might have posted to a different url.

I guess I would suggest pointing that box back to search.php. As trivial as phpBB's search is, it is at least something that works. Wink
Site Admin

do you mean this http://code.google.com/apis/websearch/docs/ ?

Actually, this is the latest I implemented: http://code.google.com/apis/customsearch/v1/overview.html
Google keeps changing things up, hard to tell what they recommend "today" without visiting their site... It's XML backend "today."

The site is failing me right now ... but I specifically remember having to find relevant data within their XML return format. This was back in '09 or so.

Everest (dot) edu uses Google Search, too. I built the original site back in '07. They've changed it some, but most of it seems intact (URL structure I put in place is still intact). Their search used to use the AJAX method, but they seemed to have updated it. The URL structure isn't something I put into place, and it's not ajax anymore.
Site Admin

They limit to 100 queries per day, and require Ads for free usage. How nice!
Perhaps, I'll check for another way.
BTW, did you by anychance try http://www.nusphere.com/search/ ?
It runs mnogosearch which indexes both www and forum.

No I hadn't. Don't need www search, just a forum search. My first instinct on any forums is find search box; use it. If no search box, look for search link. You had a box. Then I ran into this limit issue! Initially just thought it was some weird "I'm spamming search" so I made this post. Now I see how things are working, I'll keep with the general forum search, or use the actual forum search page.

just go to google and to a site: search
blabla site:forum.nusphere.com
What is the search limit on this forum?