NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
What happened with "Open By Filename"?

Hello all, does anybody use this function?

Up to a few versions back this function performed beutifully, I coud search and open file amogst a 10000 file repository within miliseconds.

Now this function is completely "fu...d up", it searches the files for over a minute (mind it is SSD), the window is not resizable anymore, and if you change focus to another window, while you wait, the search terminates. There is no file cache, if you immediately re-start the search, you are again faced with a 1 minute search Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

WTF?
Site Admin

hmm, it still works fast for me.
Can you check Task manager if there is another application consuming CPU and/or memory in your case?

Hi, no definately not.

Something has changed.

1. Before, the window started fully populated with all the files loaded (cached?) and it was filtering while you typed. Now it seems it goes through all the files on the filesystem "physically" EACH time
2. Window is not resizable anymore (ok maybe I have a corrupted configuration / project file / ...??)
3. As soon as you move focus out of Phped, the search window CLOSES, killing ongoing search

Anybody?
Site Admin

1 - it does not go through all the files in your system. It does not go though the files each time.
2 - window size is adjustable. Resize works fine
3 - that's expected and not an issue

Did you check the other applications?
What's CPU and memory pressure on your computer?

I can confirm the same problem here after upgrading to latest PhpED (19.2 Build 19210). I have a creatively small project (a few hundred files). It can take as long as 30 seconds to find a file. Not a problem in earlier versions. Feature is barely unusable in this one. Antivirus disabled and plenty of system resources.
Site Admin

I can check what's going on in your case.

Can you please do the following:
-find a product that can make screencast (video) grabbed right from the screen and run it
-open task manager on performance tab showing memory and cpu
-run PhpED, open your project, make sure that screencast software captures phped, taskmanager and system clocks
-invoke open file popup to reproduce the issue
-as soon as issue is reproduced, stop video, quit the IDE, make sure that you have very fresh log that IDE dumps upon exit in %APPDATA%\NuSphere\PhpED\phpedop.log
-send me video and log

Sent relevant information via a private message. Hope for a speedy resolution as I use this feature all the time and it's currently severely crippled.
Site Admin

Looks like initial project parsing and scanning hasn't finished.
I'd recommend you to wait until the icon in the left bottom corner disappeared then try again.

dmitri wrote:
Looks like initial project parsing and scanning hasn't finished.
I'd recommend you to wait until the icon in the left bottom corner disappeared then try again.

Makes no difference. Takes just as long to find a file after the project is loaded and the icon disappears.
Site Admin

Okay, but in this case log may reveal something different. Can you please repeat gathering the same info?

dmitri wrote:
Okay, but in this case log may reveal something different. Can you please repeat gathering the same info?

Done and sent. Hope it helps.

Have you tried to re-create project within a workspace?
Sometime I experience, that project file that loads into workspace gets corrupted.
Once deleted and created new project, all works well.
I am not sure of the reason though, happens rarely.
What happened with "Open By Filename"?