NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Interesting... it is definitely faster after I created a new project. I wouldn't call it fast and definitely slower than the previous version but at least more tolerable. Thank you for the suggestion.

lubosdz wrote:
Have you tried to re-create project within a workspace?
Sometime I experience, that project file that loads into workspace gets corrupted.
Once deleted and created new project, all works well.
I am not sure of the reason though, happens rarely.
Site Admin

I checked the logs your sent me. Now I'm almost certain it's not CPU but disk activity.
It's either another application is monitoring all your disk reads (like antiviruses always do) and / or another application is concurrently reads or perhaps writes a lot in parallel to the same disk and the disk is rotational so it becomes awfully slow,
so when Find File By Name function reads next portion from the project index file, it is doing so, well, much slower than intended.
May be the disk itself is slow or may be it's not a local disk at all.
If you have SSD, it worth to try to place ppj file (the project file) on it. You don't have to change location of the sources though. It's only about ppj file. If you place it on your fast disk, IDE will also place project index (.idx file) there too.
If you decide to thy that, you can just move (or copy) your *.ppj, *.idx and *.ppx files to the fastest disk. Most likely it will help right a way.
If you don't have such disk, you can analyze task manager (disk io columns are hidden by default but you can turn them on) to find the culprit -- the application that constantly performs disk reads and/or writes in the background and stop it.

Finally in the next build I implemented a slightly different strategy working with index. The results are not measurable in my case because my disk is very fast. But in your case it may be running significantly faster.

Sorry, I was away for some time. I have now tried to create new workspace and project, but I have same results...it takes over a minute to scan through my workspace. Cpu at the time is a couple of percent. Both projct files and phped files are all on SSD's...

Please let us know, whent you'll change the "index strategy". In the meantime, can you at least remove the very annoying behaviour, where the search is aborted, as soon as the phped window loses focus. I cant tell you how many times I clicked away half way through my 1 minute search and realize the serch is terminated and I had to start all over again....

Thanks

EDIT: I also added exclusions to my antimalware (windows defender), both project folders AND phped.exe process....

For what it's worth my drives are all SSD and results are the same with or without anti virus running. The project directory contains about 6,000 files. Strange for an algorithm to be disk-dependent when searching 6,000 entries. Hope you guys figure it out.
Site Admin

obarshay wrote:
For what it's worth my drives are all SSD and results are the same with or without anti virus running.

It is because your antivirus does not care if you turn it on or off. It runs in both cases. Especially if it is Kaspersky. What you change by turning on and off is reporting -- in case if it finds something.
You have to uninstall it to fill the difference.

obarshay wrote:
For what it's worth my drives are all SSD and results are the same with or without anti virus running. The project directory contains about 6,000 files. Strange for an algorithm to be disk-dependent when searching 6,000 entries. Hope you guys figure it out.

Right, it shouldn't work that slow with just 6K files and it does not work slow. Try on a clean machine and you'll see it.
I checked build #19112 with magento-based project that has 12359 files. The popup is populated with list of files in less than 1sec.
For the machines affected by dumb antivirues, as I mentioned earlier, I've implemented workaround that will keep index file for longer time. Hope it helps.

Can you also not close the search dialog if phped windows loses focus, please?
Site Admin

I don't know what search dialog you mean. Dialog windows are never closed when main window loses active state. If you mean popup to find a file or class by name, they are closed like any other popups. Such popups are with WS_EX_TOPMOST flag and would obscure all other windows if left over.

Can someone please clarify where are this function - "open by filename"?
This feature I am missing most, switching from PHPStorm (they have global search dialog which activates with two shift presses).

dp41646 wrote:
This feature I am missing most, switching from PHPStorm (they have global search dialog which activates with two shift presses).

Hi,
just out of curiosity - what was the reason for you to switch from PhpStorm to PhpEd?
Site Admin

dp41646 wrote:
where are this function - "open by filename"?

Search -> Open File By Name

lubosdz wrote:
dp41646 wrote:

Hi,
just out of curiosity - what was the reason for you to switch from PhpStorm to PhpEd?

microlags mainly, I really can't stand that, so PHPEd is much faster
PHPEd have dynamic highlighting, and a few other things which phpstorm don't have

on the other hand, phpstorm have much more features, but most of them (for me) is simply gimmick
but one feature that I would like to be implemented from phpstorm is syncronisation feature which would look at file sources, not only timestamps

@dmitri
thank you, I didn't know that this even exists in phped!

dp41646 wrote:
lubosdz wrote:
dp41646 wrote:

Hi,

microlags mainly, I really can't stand that, so PHPEd is much faster
PHPEd have dynamic highlighting, and a few other things which phpstorm don't have

on the other hand, phpstorm have much more features, but most of them (for me) is simply gimmick
but one feature that I would like to be implemented from phpstorm is syncronisation feature which would look at file sources, not only timestamps

Hi, thanx for sharing the experience.
I also agree that PhpEd has actually all one needs for professional development and that many of PhpStorm features are useless to me, though some of them are nice.
What about debugging?
Do you have experience XDebug vs. PhpEd's debugger?
What happened with "Open By Filename"?