NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
What happened to the one year of free upgrades?

There seems to be a hickup in the online store system. When I bought 6.0 when it was released a mere MONTH ago part of the deal was a years worth of free upgrades. Yet when I log into the store it wants me to pay for 6.1. I'm assuming this is a mistake?

This is the only company I have EVER come across that charges for point upgrades and if you expect us to fork out the full upgrade price within a month of releasing a new version then you have crossed the line and have definitly lost yourself at least two customers that I am aware of.

If you had warned us 6.1 was only a couple of weeks after 6.0 I would never have bought 6.0. Not to mention there is not enough new features in 6.1 to justify buying the product again.

I really hope this is just a glitch in the store software.
Guru master

I suspect it's a mistake, because I always got all upgrades over a yearly period. Probably best to put a support query through http://shop.nusphere.com/customer/support.php

Silly question, but did you remember to login to the store first? http://shop.nusphere.com/customer/login.php

Thank you for letting me know 6.1 was ready for download, because I haven't received the notification email yet Smile

I did put in a support request and received a reply saying standard did not come with a years worth of upgrade despite it doing so. Also I was told the new version was outside the 30 day grace period so I was out of luck. (their words.). Okay.. so they released 6.1 32 days after 6.0 so they could avoid giving all their quick adopters a free upgrade there as well.

I will post a screen shot in a sec of the free upgrades notice for them.

Here is a screen shot for the 6.1 standard upgrade screen which was the same for 6.0.

Guru master

I didn't think of Standard version. Sad

I've got Professional, so that will be the reason.

The feature comparison at http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_verscomp.htm does clearly indicate 1 month of updates (hot fixes) and not 1 year of upgrades.

With 32 days since your purchase it might be nice that you get 6.1 but you probably shouldn't expect any further upgrades.

I doubt they 'planned' 6.1 to be 32 days after 6.0, as updates have been coming through regularly since the initial release and this might just have been another 6.0 version, which you still would not have been eligible for if you have Standard and your 30 days had finished Wink

Ahh, I think I understand. If you buy Pro you get all upgrades. If you buy Standard (which is a lot less than Pro) then you pay for point upgrades (just $39 a time). Actually, that does seem quite fair.

Last edited by plugnplay on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

They seem to be on the ball this weekend. They have been in touch to let me know the free upgrades in the ordering screen is a typo but they have still honoured it and have given me the upgrade.

plugnplay wrote:
I didn't think of Standard version. Sad

I've got Professional, so that will be the reason.

The feature comparison at http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_verscomp.htm does clearly indicate 1 month of updates (hot fixes) and not 1 year of upgrades.

With 32 days since your purchase it might be nice that you get 6.1 but you probably shouldn't expect any further upgrades.

I doubt they 'planned' 6.1 to be 32 days after 6.0, as updates have been coming through regularly since the initial release and this might just have been another 6.0 version, which you still would not have been eligible for if you have Standard and your 30 days had finished Wink

Ahh, I think I understand. If you buy Pro you get all upgrades. If you buy Standard (which is a lot less than Pro) then you pay for point upgrades (just $39 a time). Actually, that does seem quite fair.

I haven't checked that version comparison for years and it does indeed say no upgrades for a year. However I have frequently been using the store to get updates and thats where it was saying they were included. Fortunately they are honoring that.

Having said that I must admit to having mixed feelings about this update. Quick release schedule aside in my opinion it does not contain enough to warrent a paid upgrade. To be honest it's big selling point the javascript dom module autocomplete is something I thought was already in there as part of the new javascript facilities.

And if they think their standard customers aren't going to be pissed off with having to pay for a new version 32 days apart with no warning from them they seriously have no idea about people. The whole reason I knew about 6.1 was from a VERY irate email from a friend who is a fellow customer.
Guru master

I didn't see your image previously as it showed a big red X, but it looks like they maybe copied the Pro description into the Standard and didn't change it properly.

Great to hear you got your upgrade Very Happy

Over the last 12 months PhpED hasn't had major updates every month that maybe were important enough to pay $39 for, so I don't think it would become a monthly payment.

I've downloaded 6.1 but still don't know what has been updated.

Comparing the price of PhpED against some competitors, PhpED is more expensive than some, but do you know what? I'd rather pay the extra because I do prefer using PhpED. There is something about Java based IDE's that just feels clunky. The NuSphere debugger is probably the clincher.

For anyone thinking about Standard vs. Pro, there are some nice extra features in Pro. If you are doing PHP development as a business, it really can pay for itself quickly. For me, with time saved because of PhpED it was easily paid for in my first project Wink

plugnplay wrote:
.... so I don't think it would become a monthly payment.

No that's not what I meant. I worded that bit very badly. It's what happens when you are up early on a Sunday morning. Smile

I mean't people would be upset paying for a new version only 32 days after paying for the previous one. If they had let us know it was very close we would have just waited for 6.1. Expecting us to pay for two version that close together is beyond greedy. Especially as whats in 6.1 looks to me to be parts that were intended for 6.0 but weren't quite ready in time. I mean they are all part of the same feature that was the selling point of 6.0.

No arguments from me on your points about it being a good product though. If an overpriced one. Smile
What happened to the one year of free upgrades?