NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Reported a bug with 19.5 - no response

@dmitri

I reported a bug via the form, but I have not received any ticket number of at least a confirmation.

It was about a specific SCSS file crashing the code parser once it is copied into the project directory.

Can you confirm you received it?
Site Admin

Sorry, we didn't receive any reports like that, definitely not from your account. Can you give it one more time?

@dmitri

I included the SCSS in the body of the message, but it is about 10K lines (some stupid 3rd party Bootstrap skin).

Can I email it to you?
Site Admin

Please submit request with short text description of the problem, then you'll get notification about ticket, reply to it with SCSS file attached in ZIP archive.
This way our support will communicate with you if necessary. Thank you.

ok, done. let's see what happens.
Site Admin

In the logs I see you posted to contact us form, but seems something went wrong. I can't find your ticket and looks like you did not receive any notifications. We'll look into that. Meanwhile - can you try to logout and re-submit without being logged in?
https://shop.nusphere.com/contact_us/

@dmitri

I did that, but after submitting bug report, I was shown "You're not logged in. Please login." message. No idea if anything went through.

can you simply ask your guys to email me?
Site Admin

Thank you for sending this file.
Do I read this right - the IDE is crashing if the file is included in current project?
If so, what do you mean under term crash -- it becomes unresponsive or it abnormally quits? In the first case, did you try to wait for 1-2 minutes? In latter case, can you also send me dump?

If you drop that SCSS into any directory of your active project - PHPEd will start parsing it and will crash/quit without any notice.
Site Admin

I see it now -- the problem is in SCSS grammar that does not support some constructs widely used in this file. As a result, parser misses many closing tags and creates deeeeeeeeeply nested rule nodes. Then scan on the nodes in this parsed document causes stack overflow and abnormally terminates the process. I don't think we can fix SCSS grammar overnight. I can suggest the following workaround:
-move this file away from the project
-find <project name>.ppx and <project name>.idx files and delete them. Normally they are in the same directory with <project name>.ppj -- the project file, unless it's on a non-local disk. In latter case the .idx and .ppx are deep inside %LOCALAPPDATA%\NuSphere with project's GUID as a name part. You can just clean up all cache subdirectories you can find in there.
-run the IDE and open the project
-add your SCSS file to "hide files" input in the project settings
-restore SCSS file back to the project

ok, I don't really need that file - it's something I've inherited.

but at least you now can see the problem.
investigation results
Site Admin

SCSS supports nested rules. It allows to create much cleaner structure of styles with not so many lines. The root cause for the problem in your case is the SCSS file with so many never closed rules. Effectively it created structure with very deep rules that reached nesting level around 5000. This is the level where SCSS parser reached stack limit and Windows thrown 0xC00000FD exception (aka stack overflow). We will fix this problem by limiting maximum nesting level to some safe levels like 500 so it will never get you into trouble.