NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Norton says phpED is a virus

I just purchased an upgrade for phpED 12. Downloaded it, and my Norton antivirus software says it is a high risk Suspicious.Cloud.9.B, and automatically deletes it.

Please advise.

Thank you

I then downloaded phpED under the Updates section of my account panel, and didn't get the warning.
Guru master

Norton is one of the worst anti-virus I have ever seen; nearly all of my clients that have had infections over the last few years have used Norton 360. I change them over to ESET NOD32 and all of sudden they get warnings for all the stuff that Norton missed.

I guess if Norton fails to detect issues, it is just as likely to do false detections.

Hi,

well there is no virus, but my guess why Norton says It's a virus is because Norton doesn't know this file, since not many users have runned it.

Cheers
Site Admin

I don't think that Norton/Symantec makes any decision on number of users -- they may all got the same infection btw.
BTW we have by far more than nothing or nobody Smile.
Funny thing is that we send our binaries to Symantec time after time. Not sure what they do with them. Seems just nothing.

Anyway, I'm not surprised. Popular AVs are always in target for virus-writers so they put a lot of efforts to obfuscate such popular AV software, so it's clear that without fast reaction, Norton is absolutely useless.
As of false positives, it's caused by heuristic algorithms.
This all is very close to anti-spam technique btw. Can anyone guarantee that you will never get a mail from your customer in junk folder?