NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Search/Replace Improvements

In addition to a feature suggested here replace-functionality-t2669.html I think the search/replace dialog is missing two essential features.

1. The box is currently modal so when it's active, you can't move around the editor. This is handy if you want to be able to change the current selection and you are searching/replacing within that selection, or copy new code into the the dialog from the editor
2. I think the dialog should remember your last settings (e.g. I had it set to search within a selection on one search/replace, then went back in after another and it performed a global replace instead)

Also, I'm not sure if its necessary to have 2 tabs are necessary for search/replace - it may make more sense to just have just different buttons for Find and Replace. The comparison has been made before I know, but Dreamweaver's search/replace is very usable and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have similar functionality.

Chris
Guru master

Agree fully with your request. Also, imho I think the box probably shouldn't move around when jumping to the next find. I just use the shortcuts so i don't really mind, but the mouse-using people have a really hard time to move to the replace/keep button each time Wink

In combo with your proposal to remember the settings the box could also remember it's last position, so you could move it to a space where you like it and it stays there.

Last edited by Blizz on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

I like the idea of remembering the position of the box!

It occurred to me that it would also be a great idea to be able to search within scopes - for example, searching for a variable within a very long function - without having to select an entire function and then search within that selection.

Chris.
Search/Replace Improvements