NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
phpED with GIT on remote dev server

So far my experience with phpED has been positive. Enough so that I have purchased the product, however I have run into an issue that I'm hoping others have encountered and can suggest a work flow to remedy.

In my development environment I have my local workstation that runs phpED and i have the workspace/project setup correctly with all of the remote site files downloaded to my workstation from our corporate dev. server that resides in a datacenter in another city. On the remote dev server we are using GIT for version control, and on this server we are running apache & mysql to that we can test our code. Each of the developers have their own accounts on the dev server and thus have their own workspaces to program within. IE: each developer is assigned a dev url to browse to their 'copy' of the website to allow them to test, develop, etc. Once code is ready for live, it is then committed on the dev server, merged into a master branch, then pushed up to bitbucket, followed by a pull to the live server. The dev server and live server are different physical machines, residing in different physical locations.

Hopefully that paints a picture of how our environment is setup. Now here is the problem. On my workstation here, i have all of my dev site files downloaded into phpED that are on the dev server within the current active branch in GIT. Everything is sync'd properly and I am able to do my work as normal. Now if i switch to a different branch in GIT on the remote dev server, and run the Smart Sync feature in phpED, it will show me a list of files to download, and possibly some to delete on my local workstation to get back into sync again. Where a problem lies though is with new folders that came into existence on the remote dev server from another developer through GIT. It seems that the smart sync doesn't detect these new folders, and requires me to also run smart download to get the new folders.

Is there not a better way to handle development using phpED with local files like this in conjuction with a remote dev server running GIT involving branches? I am completely puzzled how best to achieve the ideal workflow here. We have no plans and are unable to run apache/mysql on our workstation for local testing, and must use a remote dev server like this.

Remotely mounting a network file share or folder is also not possible (not only is it way to slow in performance, but has issues in stability between our windows workstation and a linux server).

Any suggestions here to better my work flow?
Site Admin

Quote:
It seems that the smart sync doesn't detect these new folders

It was a bug we that fixed in 9055.

Quote:
Remotely mounting a network file share or folder is also not possible

I think it would be more effient because (if I got it right) your server is under source control, so the Sync is an extra operation that your poor developers have to run each time they change any bit in sources.

Quote:
has issues in stability between our windows workstation and a linux server

depends on the network.
If samba fails to work stable, try Webdrive on windows that works on top of regular SSH.